Transgender Athletes

97 watchers
Aug 2019
3:41pm, 15 Aug 2019
22,573 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Bonners - here's a Guardian article that uses the same figures I've pointed at: theguardian.com
Aug 2019
3:45pm, 15 Aug 2019
6,500 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Jambovo- yes clear male advantage persists post transition. As I posted in the earlier - research has clearly demonstrated that reducing testostetone dies not make you shorter, change your pelvis or your head or heart size - all of which differentiate men from women and give them advantages in sport than women.

That's before we even explore the ethical or moral issues around giving children puberty blockers & high dose hormones to reduce their testosterone.
Aug 2019
3:50pm, 15 Aug 2019
1,245 posts
  •  
bonners
Cheers fetch, that is the article I was thinking of. Must've remembered the figures wrong.
Aug 2019
3:54pm, 15 Aug 2019
42,767 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I quite favour a poll, though I'd need to do some thinking before proffering options.
Aug 2019
3:58pm, 15 Aug 2019
792 posts
  •  
Trin
I'm in favour of a poll too, it would be quite interesting
Aug 2019
4:06pm, 15 Aug 2019
22,574 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Jovi - I don't disagree with the study. I agree that a person who started out as a male but then became female could have a competitive advantage over other female athletes. And yes, if someone went through the process for significant personal gain, that's not good at all.

The difficult point is that alongside these gain-seekers, there are a whole lot of other people who simply want to get on with their lives, being the person they wish to be; trying their best at activities they enjoy; and probably not wanting to be put into a category that makes them stand out.

It was mentioned (p42) that the number of people self-identifying was on the rise. Can you point at any numbers to illustrate that?
Aug 2019
4:14pm, 15 Aug 2019
6,501 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
fetch - no one is trying to stop transgender people participating on sport as after all tgey can participate in it as they did before transiti9n. If you don't disagree with the results that men retain a physical advantage how is it fair thst their requirement to fit in overides females rights to fair completion. It is not fair to expect femsle born women to accept them into female completion. Why shouldn't men alter their behaviour to be more accepting of them into the male class of sport.
Aug 2019
4:20pm, 15 Aug 2019
3,061 posts
  •  
Raemond
I note you've now dropped all pretence of accepting that transwomen are women, Jovi.
Aug 2019
4:23pm, 15 Aug 2019
13,270 posts
  •  
Rosehip
please don't stir when the conversation is so civil at the moment Raemond. It's not necessary.
Aug 2019
4:24pm, 15 Aug 2019
6,502 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Surely the world has gone truly made when it's seen as controversial or confrontational to suggest that, female athletes don't have penises. I know that may upset people but at the crux of the matter that's what it boils down to (& even if castrated as demonstrated in research papers men would still maintain a physical advantage).

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...