Transgender Athletes

1 lurker | 97 watchers
Aug 2019
9:36pm, 11 Aug 2019
702 posts
  •  
Vixx
Hello.

Some of you know me, and some don't. Whilst I write, I appreciate the conversation will move forward, so I am going to try and address some of the points raised.

I myself am transgender (female to male), and have been transitioned now for a while. I have had top surgery, but not bottom surgery as it is too complex and has a very high failure rate. Personally I do not wish to potentially end up incontinent which can happen if the procedure fails.

I also take hormones, and will do so for the rest of my life. The dosage will be lowered as I get older to mimic that of biological men.

I will address the parkrun issue first - I appreciate that parkrun is volunteer-led and there are no prizes etc. However, the IOC have strict rules on transgender athletes (PARTICULARLY Male to Female athletes) competing in various Olympic sports. To date (as far as I am aware) there have been NO transfemale athletes competing at the Olympics. The IOC state that transwomen MUST have an almost zero Testosterone level to compete. Biological females will have a testosterone level between 0 and 2, so this is in line with that. This is actually lower than female athletes such as Caster Semenya (and the argument around her is completely different to this one as she is not and does not identify as Trans). They must also have been on hormone blockers for at least one year.

As I said, as far as I am aware, here have been no Transwomen competing in the Olympics. Transmen have no regulation as the argument is that Transmen's hormone levels are kept artificially low and thus there is almost a reasoning that we aren't likely to have sufficient talent to compete successfully. Various other sporting bodies have their own policies drawn up to follow too.

Going back to parkrun - my thought here is that whomever this person is, they have not been on hormones for long enough to be able to compete as female, and to my mind should not have the record at this point (unless they can prove it of course).

Going to the medical issues:

Most transmen and women have protected NHS numbers (mine changed when I got my Gender Recognition Certificate that makes me legally Male and my Birth Certificate has been changed to reflect this). This means that I still have checks on my ovaries until such time as I have a hysterectomy. I do not want this unless it is medically necessary. I can still go for smears and other female-related medical tests, and even though my breasts have been removed I will still need to have breast checks from the age of 48. I will not have to be called for male tests because my NHS record won't call me for them for obvious reasons.

Research is ongoing now due to there being more transmen and women out there, so medical testing is done to see what risks we are under - and quite often there are no extra risks. I am not at extra risk of cancer for my womb, ovaries and breasts, but the doctors do know that some transmen become at risk for some male issues - but only in the same percentage as biological men would be. I undergo yearly blood tests and weigh ins just to keep things in check.

Finally, I will say that I appreciate that many people do not know a transperson. If people wish to ask questions, then please feel free to message me, but any rudeness or suchlike will not be answered. Like everyone else, I am a human being. I was born female, and felt so much distress at being in that position that transitioning was my only option in the end. I tried so hard to be female and live as female and it felt like wearing the wrong skin every single day and I didn't know how unhappy I was until my now-wife said that surely if transitioning made me 10% happier then that would be an improvement. I am aware that genetically I am still female, XX. It'd make a great crime novel if you think about it.

I am nearly 9 years in my new life and I am more than 100% happier. Would you want a friend of yours to be unhappy if there was a chance to be happy?

P.S. I am NEVER going to win any prizes for running. Some areas, such as Scotland have their own charter, where races can have Trans and Non-Binary categories. As far as I know, UK Athletics are dragging their heels over this issue for races of all distances.

I don't know what the solution is. I just want to be able to run. That's what we are all using this site for isn't it?

Thank you for reading. X
Aug 2019
9:42pm, 11 Aug 2019
29,483 posts
  •  
DocMoye
Thank you for sharing
Aug 2019
9:44pm, 11 Aug 2019
56,073 posts
  •  
swittle
Vixx's honesty and openness do not surprise me in the slightest.
Aug 2019
9:44pm, 11 Aug 2019
6,420 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Great to hear Vixx that you will still be screened - that is one of my main concerns allayed for those transitioning.

I hope people understand I support anyone's right to identify as they wish & what works for them.

As you say Vixx this is a running thread & what I have tried to express, albeit in a bit of a clumsy way at times is I will never feel it is fair for male born peoplee to compete in the femsle category.

I simply was very angry at comments on the parkrun thread suggesting that us females should not be voicing concern about a man taking a female record.

I know Vixx & really hope I haven't said anything thst causes you anxiety.
Aug 2019
9:56pm, 11 Aug 2019
703 posts
  •  
Vixx
I know where you are coming from Jovi, so you haven't caused me anxiety. I think that the way the IOC did their ruling was based on research at the time (and I think IIRC that it was updated in 2015). I see many transwomen in some FB running groups moaning about how their times are decreasing and they are getting slower - and that is only right as they lose muscle mass and density, they SHOULD be getting slower.

I think that, if I am honest, this person should not have this parkrun record unless they can prove themselves against the IOC criteria (and I'll bet they cannot, otherwise they would have records from their time as male if they are that fast). I think females SHOULD be able to voice concern about this and not just have it taken for granted. It will add more fuel to the fire for trans-bashing by the likes of Sharron Davies and Kelly Holmes if it is not looked into, and it should be looked into to ensure that there is no foul play going on - otherwise, as people have said, men would be able to just dress as women and claim records and prizes. This is exactly why women's criteria were put into the IOC rules just after the 1908 Games - because men had been caught dressing and competing as women.

If a transwoman can meet the criteria set then she should be given a fair go, but the fact that no transwoman has competed in the Olympics yet (nor has won any other high profile running event) means that there isn't anyone who is meeting the criteria and still able to compete. Dr Rachel McKinnon has won a couple of cycling events, but even she has stated that more often than not she is competing and finishing within the pack, thus having no significant advantage over other female riders.
Aug 2019
9:56pm, 11 Aug 2019
2,359 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Thanks for that Vixx - E hasn't yet got a GRC but is now able to apply. The NHS screening info wasn't something I knew (I suspect E does - he tends to research everything!) so is reassuring.
SPR
Aug 2019
9:59pm, 11 Aug 2019
28,952 posts
  •  
SPR
Re the parkrunner that started all this off, I don't think the evidence is there that they haven't transitioned and are just running as they identify. I'd actually guess they had based on the evidence we have but obviously don't know.

Doesn't change the fact that there's issues around potential residual advantages though.
Aug 2019
10:01pm, 11 Aug 2019
704 posts
  •  
Vixx
No worries TR - if I can help with that let me know. It's a pain in the bum but worth it for the legal protections.

I am generally out and proud as Trans (except for the new place I have just started at as I am feeling the situation out) and am happy to answer questions for people, as I feel that helping people understand gives them the information to help people try and understand.
Aug 2019
10:02pm, 11 Aug 2019
42,694 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Thanks, Vixx :)
Aug 2019
10:06pm, 11 Aug 2019
705 posts
  •  
Vixx
No worries Velociraptor :)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...