Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
9 Sep
1:23pm, 9 Sep 2024
2,643 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
What's your intensity look like? I don't know Garmin's specific metric, but TSS is linear with duration and quadratic with intensity. So any drop in HR for a given pace will need a bigger increase in volume to achieve the same aggregate load.
9 Sep
1:31pm, 9 Sep 2024
70,840 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's not all plodding, about 25% was classified as High Aerobic. But even if it was all plodding, 54 miles of running isn't a low volume of training for a casual athlete.
9 Sep
1:57pm, 9 Sep 2024
8,771 posts
  •  
Jaks
I’ve got the opposite V’rap
9 Sep
2:14pm, 9 Sep 2024
2,644 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
It's not a low volume, but the metric is looking to see if the aggregate load is generally increasing (a small positive ramp rate). It's a way of indicating whether there is sufficient stimulus to produce improvement, or are you heading for a plateau (accepting things like periodisation, maintenance, tapering).

It's the personal trend in load it's looking at. An interesting exercise maybe to calculate the total number of heartbeats per week during exercise over those weeks and see the shape of the resulting curve.
9 Sep
2:34pm, 9 Sep 2024
70,846 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Impressive, Jaks, even allowing for you having spent August walking rather than running :-O I get such a small score from walking that I'd have been down in single figures by the end of August,

Interesting, MM :) A runner could get into quite a pickle with overtraining if they relied on the Garmin headline announcements alone.
9 Sep
2:37pm, 9 Sep 2024
57,463 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I’ve said it before …. Garmin metrics do seem to be random number generators of doom!
9 Sep
2:47pm, 9 Sep 2024
2,645 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Yes, periodisation doesn't seem to be well incorporated into the Garmin system. Like TSS it's a reasonable monitor for transitioning between volumes, but probably not for continuous use.

There are other subtle implications if you're making a switch to very high intensity (e.g. if incorporating lots of anaerobic/sprint work), as it doesn't overly well account for the muscular damage that can do. strava has an interesting adaptation to its intensity calculation that helps slightly, but it still needs care with monitoring.
9 Sep
4:00pm, 9 Sep 2024
44,559 posts
  •  
Ness
My Garmin seems to have lost all my training load data! Don't Know why! 🤷‍♀️

9 Sep
4:01pm, 9 Sep 2024
57,469 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
You can’t be doing anything then @Ness 😂😂
9 Sep
4:01pm, 9 Sep 2024
44,560 posts
  •  
Ness
Exactly! 🤪🤣

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?