RW Mature Runners

12 watchers
3 Jul
5:56am, 3 Jul 2024
39 posts
  •  
OO61
Wtnmel- computer games, it's the slippery slope. Fortunately my daughters don't play, but their partners seem to spend hours gaming.
Thanks for the warning about grandkids Aquarius, due in just over a week now. I only use a phone, so set up Fetch on my phone from the start. Worst case you could start from scratch with a new account, set up on your mobile?
Hillstrider there are a few quirks on Fetch but on the whole don't you think it's better?

I did a 5 mile race tonight- called bridges of Tyne. Fast and flat, sightly down on last year but still a decent effort, with an age prize. I may do a mile race tonight too.
3 Jul
11:46am, 3 Jul 2024
15,383 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, I'm sorry to hear that Margaret has a problem with her eye, and hope that it is nothing serious.

You are obviously taking walking seriously, now that you are no longer running, by taking lessons. Good luck with them.

Sounds a bit dodgy getting into computer games, as they get very addictive.

0061, I agree that fetcheveryone is better than RW with so many more features.

Well done for last night's 5 miles race with an age prize. I hope that you did well if you decided to do a mile race too.

Last night's 1 mile challenge on the grass running track went well, and I was pleased with my 8.53. We had a short recovery period and then did 2 x 400 metres with 200 metres recoveries, and 2 x 200 metres with 200 metres recoveries. A good club session.

This morning I ran a recovery pace forest 10k with Mike.
3 Jul
1:23pm, 3 Jul 2024
8 posts
  •  
Aquarius
HS I did have an old account for Fetch, but my phone wouldn’t accept the sign in details for that one either. Really weird. However I’ve changed the password for my Aquarius account and can now sign in on both devices (don’t know why I didn’t think of doing this earlier). Well done for your mile race, a good result. I’m hoping to get over to the coast on Friday evening for a mile race myself, I doubt that I’ll be near your time though. I’ve added my vote to the request for a save feature, really surprised that there isn’t one already. Fingers crossed anyway.
WtnMel You certainly like a bit of variety don’t you - running (sometimes) walking/rambling, golf, swimming, tea dances, country dancing, skinny dipping, (have I missed anything out?) and now Nordic walking, I don’t know how you have the time to cut your lawns, never mind doing your neighbour’s too. I imagine he would have been delighted to get that job done since he was feeling so poorly (well done you!)

0061 I forgot about the Bridges race, well done for your age category prize. The jury’s still out for me as regards whether Fetch is better than RW, but time will tell. I think my problem is I don’t like change. Good luck with tonight’s mile race.

I did my usual “long” run (just under 7 miles, which is long for me) with the mile and a half steep hill. I’m always glad to get to the top of that I can tell you! We go away at the weekend to Torquay to visit my sister for her birthday. We’ll be stopping off at a few places on the way down and back so will be away for about 10 days. I hope I can fit some running in while I’m away.
3 Jul
2:40pm, 3 Jul 2024
15,386 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, good luck with Fridays 1 mile race, if you do it.

Thanks for voting for the save feature. I'm surprised too that it's not already there.

Well done for your usual long run, just under 7 miles, with the 1.5 miles long steep hill.

I hope that you have a lovely weekend in Torquay for your sisters birthday 🎂. I also hope that you may be able to find a parkrun whilst you are away.
3 Jul
5:39pm, 3 Jul 2024
2,660 posts
  •  
WtnMel
OO61 - I've explained below my relationship with computer games. I don't know what Hillstrider will think, but I always preferred Fetch to the RW forums - mainly because at least here on Fetch, you do get support .. from Ian (aka. 'Lord' Fetch) .. in the event of any problems. Well done for your age category prize for your 5ml race.

Hillstrider - nothing serious re Margaret's eyes - more of a 'just in case' visit to ensure there was nothing amiss. I've not heard back from the lady I found offering nordic walking lessons. She seems to run a lot of other classes (pilates etc.) so I'll wait a few days before chasing her up. As mentioned to OO61 above, and in more detail below, no chance of me getting addicted to games. Glad to hear the 1ml challenge went okay and well done re the 10k with Mike.

Aquarius - glad to hear you've sorted out your problems logging on to Fetch via your phone and laptop. It's true - I do like some variety in my life (it stops things getting boring). There's no running to speak of - on the odd occasions I try, my knees complain afterwards. You didn't mention the non-athletic pursuits of the u3a social cards and science & technology groups. Cutting my neighbour's lawn meant I didn't get round to trimming my hedges - but he keeps an eye on our house when we're away, so it was my turn to do a good deed. Well done re your 7ml run. I saw you'll be heading for Torquay and stopping on the way - sounds a bit like us when we stop off on my way to Sunderland to see Margaret's uncle (the amount of driving I can do in one go has dropped dramatically over recent years). Anyway, I hope you have the opportunity to run while you're away.

A change of plan today - Margaret has a committee meeting on Fri so wants to prepare tomorrow. So we took ourselves off to Croome this morning for a short walk, followed by coffees and then baked potatoes. Because it was a bit drizzly on the way there, I think that put a lot of people off, so Croome was lovely and quiet!

Thanks for your concerns, but there's no chance I will get addicted to gaming. I'm always far too busy with other things to play them more than once every now and then. I have my son's old Playstation 3 which mostly sits gathering dust. Plus some games (including the new puzzle one) on the laptop. But the games are purely there for those odd occasions when I'm on the laptop and need some 'downtime' and mindless nonsense for a bit - usually to take my mind off what I SHOULD be doing!! :)

The puzzle game runs fine by the way, but the golf game didn't. It kept crashing with an application error of some sort. I suspected that might be the case as my laptop is a few years old now. I put in a refund request and it has been accepted, so the money should pop back into my credit card account in the next few days.
3 Jul
5:41pm, 3 Jul 2024
2,661 posts
  •  
WtnMel
I must be losing it by the way as I can't see a ? anywhere to vote for a 'save' feature ..
3 Jul
5:56pm, 3 Jul 2024
2,658 posts
  •  
Jen HB
It's feature ID 1882...
3 Jul
6:46pm, 3 Jul 2024
30,682 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I just happened to pop in here to see how you folks were doing. If anyone is having any issues, drop me a line via the help link (top and bottom of every page). Cheers :-)
3 Jul
6:55pm, 3 Jul 2024
15,389 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, it's in the Black strip at the top of the page inside a circle.
4 Jul
9:57am, 4 Jul 2024
2,662 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

Should I mention this mornings walk was the fastest ever on the route I did at 15:35mm pace? Nah .. that would just be blowing my own trumpet ..

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..