RW Mature Runners

2 lurkers | 12 watchers
11 Jul
10:28pm, 11 Jul 2024
2,666 posts
  •  
WtnMel
I have a bit more time on my hands this evening so thought I would pop in here while I'm online.

Hillstrider - I hope the golf on Fri was just 'one of those days'. The open meeting was good - we had a retired 'weights and measures' inspector doing a talk and telling us a few 'funnies' from his working life. Well done re Tuesday's farmers walk and the 4ml and 7ml runs.

OO61 - as mentioned, to Hillstrider, hope the golf on Fri was just a 'blip'. Hope you don't have to wait much longer to welcome your grandchild.

Alan and I are trying to finish off our TOGGS tournament (The Old Gits Golf Series) from last year - we have three courses still to play, so I hope last week was just a blip and I play better when we're having a bit of competitive golf (but no money is involved!). But I'll head to the driving range before we play again for some more practise.

I'm staying at the 'purple palace' tonight (Premier Inn) as I've been to see my Mum today. She was doing okay today, but it's hard work as she's very hard of hearing. I must look again at something to help her hear better. After checking in to the hotel, I went for a brisk 4ml walk around Tring this evening. Heading home in the morning.
12 Jul
10:12am, 12 Jul 2024
15,455 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, I'm sure that Fridays golf was a one off, and that you will soon be back on form again. A good idea going back to the practice driving range before your next match!

I'm glad that the open meeting went well. It sounded very interesting with the talk by the retired weights and measurement inspector.

It's good to hear that your mum is doing ok, except for her being hard of hearing. I hope that you enjoyed last night's brisk 4 mile walk!

You may not be aware that as a result of us complaining about not being able to save posts, fetch has now enabled us to "save as we go" This means that if we leave the post, we can still return where we left off, even if we have logged out!

Just the usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning.
12 Jul
4:13pm, 12 Jul 2024
9 posts
  •  
Aquarius
Just popping in to say Hi. WiFi is pretty bad here (driving me mad actually) so will probably leave it until I'm home later next week before posting properly.

Thanks for the news HS about the save as we go feature, definitely an improvement. Your Lymington Woodside time last week sounded pretty good to me, even though you were a little disappointed with it. Also a good 7 miles yesterday after your hilly circuits the previous day. WtnMel sorry to hear about the golf, hope your next match goes better. Re Premier Inns - we've stayed at a couple of shockers on the way down here, I used to recommend them wholeheartedly but won't be doing that in future.
0061 I hope your dodgy knee has recovered now after Alnwick. Was the course near, or part of, the XC one? Any news re grandchild? First babies are often late, as you'll probably know.

No running since we left home as I've picked up a tummy bug that has made me feel pretty wiped out. I'd like to try a short run tomorrow (I've a 10k the day after we return home) to try to keep my fitness up but will have to see how I feel. Bad timing really because we are going out for my sister's birthday meal tonight and food is the last thing I feel like!
13 Jul
7:33pm, 13 Jul 2024
15,462 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, thanks, running has been going quite well lately.

I'm sorry to hear that you have picked up a tummy bug. I hope that today's short run (if you risked it) was uneventful!

I hope that last night, your sisters birthday meal, went ok?

If you do decide to run the10k the day after you return home, I would take it easy.

I did the Bartley Park parkrun this morning in 29.29, which was 3 seconds quicker than last weeks time in the Lymington Woodside parkrun. I was quite pleased with this, as I think Bartley is a tougher course
14 Jul
7:38am, 14 Jul 2024
73 posts
  •  
OO61
Oh dear, what a shame about the tummy bug Aquarius hope it doesn't spoil your trip.
Good parkrunning hillstrider, sub 30 is good going.

Glad your mum is well WtnMel and safe trip home.
Wet and soggy parkrun at Blyth for us. Not as fast as I hoped but Mrs OO was happy with 31 mins. We had a delicious breakfast at the cafe opposite post run joined by my youngest and her boyfriend. The weather washed out the mouth of the tyne festival which we visited yesterday afternoon. Such a shame.
14 Jul
11:19am, 14 Jul 2024
15,465 posts
  •  
hillstrider
0061 thanks; that's a shame that the Blyth parkrun was wet and soggy, but well done to Mrs 00 for her 31 minutes. Sounds good, the post run breakfast with your youngest and her boyfriend.

How unfortunate, the weather washing out the Tyne festival.

This morning was a solo 5k road run at recovery pace.
14 Jul
5:51pm, 14 Jul 2024
2,667 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - as I think I've mentioned re u3a, I'm a RUM (Really Useful Member) and we had an email after the open meeting to thank us for being so efficient putting out the chairs for the meeting without our 'guvnor' there to keep an eye on us (he's on holiday in the US). I do hope I can find something to help my Mum's hearing. As mentioned, I think she'd struggle with hearing aids, so am thinking headphones that work using bone inductance, may be the answer. I'd not seen that there is now a 'save' function for posts - that's good news. Well done re the Friday Farmers Walk, the good time at Bartley Parkrun and the recent 5k.

Aquarius - sorry to hear your wifi has been so rubbish. I appreciate your comment about the Premier Inns - they do seem to be very mixed. There's always the 'good night guarantee' but even that has it's limitations - ie. it has to be your sleep that was ruined, not the state of the room and you can only get your money back a couple of times each year. The 'small print' strikes again!! Anyway, I always make a point of complaining and giving them negative feedback when there are problems. Sorry to hear you've also had a tummy bug which has played havoc with your various plans.

OO61 - well done re the Blyth parkrun. Sounds like that cafe nearby should be (always is?) heaving with customers. Shame about the festival being washed out by the weather.

I've been industrious in the garden lately. Cut the lawns on Friday and cut the hedges at the end of the back garden yesterday. This was in preparation for creosoting the garden shed. Which I suppose means I should ..

Re TOGGS (our golf series), the three courses left to play are Broome Manor, Shipton and Basset Down. Alan emailed me about including the round we played at Broome Manor a couple of weeks go when it was a draw - I said I'm happy with that. He also said we could include our round at Shipton last time, when I lost by 22 shots. Cheeky bugger! I told him I wanted another chance to redeem myself at Shipton and he hasn't argued. We're playing at Bassett Down next Friday, so the last round we play will be next time at Shipton. I hope I can play okay at Bassett Down, to maintain my slender lead of two points. Then I suppose we should think of starting the 2024 TOGGS tournament ;)

Since there's nothing in my diary tomorrow (there's stuff going on every other day) I should probably take myself off to the driving range and blast a few balls ..
15 Jul
10:19am, 15 Jul 2024
2,668 posts
  •  
WtnMel
I've been out for a fast walk this morning - it was nice and quiet so not too much dodging around dog walkers etc. required.

Having seen the weather forecast (heavy rain, thundery showers), I've put off creosoting the garden shed. I'll stay indoors and will clean the windows (something I've been promising to do for wee-ee-ks!). Also, the handle has worked loose on the dishwasher - the bolt inside needs to be tightened up again, so that will be another useful job to get done.

And I've decided I'll wait until Wed afternoon to go to the driving range ..
15 Jul
5:04pm, 15 Jul 2024
15,477 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, thanks. I hope that the headphones you mentioned will help your mum's hearing.

Well done for your industrious gardening work.

Good luck with next Friday's golf match at Bassett Down, and hopefully you will maintain your slender lead over Alan.

Well done for this mornings fast walk. A good idea postponing the creosoting of the garden shed and staying indoors instead.

I hope that the rain holds off Wednesday afternoon so that you won't have to postpone the driving range session.

This morning was a 6.91 mile run in the forest with the Monday Group. The forest is gradually drying up, but there were still some wet and muddy areas. We just got back before the rain started and it hasn't stopped since. We were intending to do 800 metre circuits on the gravel and grass forest track on Wednesday, but if the rain continues, we will have to find an alternative.
16 Jul
1:40pm, 16 Jul 2024
15,484 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Just the usual Tuesday Farmers Walk this morning.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..