RW Mature Runners

1 lurker | 12 watchers
20 Jul
5:54pm, 20 Jul 2024
2,676 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - sadly, the improvement in hitting the golf balls at the driving range, didn't transfer to the match with Alan (see below). The talk about Jodrell Bank was interesting (and we heard about some projects that happened during the cold war). Glad to hear the 'power cut' was just down to one of the circuit breakers in the fuse-box having tripped. Well done re your parkrun result.

Aquarius - as mentioned to Hillstrider, the golf didn't go well. Sorry to hear your trail race didn't go well because of the hot conditions. A bit off there was no water on offer but I don't suppose they were expecting it to be so hot - however, they should have supplied some. But good you had your own supplies in the car. And at least you got that spot prize. And a bit of a disappointing parkrun too I see. Hope you have a better long run on Mon and the chiropractor can help with your shoulder.

My golf was abysmal yesterday. It was a 9 hole course that we play twice and I couldn't hit the ball properly at least half the time. I could never be sure what would happen each time I got ready to hit the ball. And on the 6th hole, where the green has a pond in front of it, I hit the ball into the water 3 times each time, before giving up. Despite Alan beating me by 17 shots, because of the joys of handicaps and the scoring system we use, he only scored 2 points more than me. As I was 2 points in the lead of our 'golf series' beforehand, it means we are now on equal points for our last match when we play on Fri 2nd Aug. If I can improve, I still have a chance of beating him, which will no doubt irritate him! :)

I'm still feeling worn out today so haven't done anything. In fact, I was nodding off this afternoon when Margaret and I were doing the crossword - so she has banned me from cooking dinner like I normally do at weekends and is doing it for me as I type.
20 Jul
8:27pm, 20 Jul 2024
4,410 posts
  •  
NordRunner
WtnMel wrote:…I've done half the shed but will need to head to my local Wickes for another load of creocote tomorrow morning. I can't remember why it changed from creosote, but there we go. …
Creosote was banned a while back. The c word paintmaster.co.uk is a safer substitute.
20 Jul
9:08pm, 20 Jul 2024
85 posts
  •  
OO61
Wtnmel I've also been fence painting. It's not creosote but some equally offensive orange coating from Cuprinol, but very easy to apply and I do enjoy painting.
Great parkrun again hillstrider you are going well.
Aquarius sounds like you are having a tough time. To answer your question, though yes I am now officially a grandad. Our grandson was born on Tuesday and is a whopping 10lb 5oz.

I did Workington parkrun today. Lovely folks there, and free coffee and cake after. Definitely one to try 👍
21 Jul
4:18pm, 21 Jul 2024
15,521 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, I'm sorry to hear that the golf match didn't go well.

The talk about Jodrell Bank does sound interesting.

The golf handicap system does seem to be working in your favour, as you are now equal with Alan in points. I hope that you do improve enough to beat him in the last match on 2nd August.

I hope that you enjoyed last night's dinner that Margaret cooked.

0061, thanks, the parkrun went well, considering the humidity.

That's good news that you are now a grandfather. Your grandson is definitely a whopper!

Well done for yesterday's Workington parkrun. Always nice to have coffee and cake afterwards.

I ran a solo 6.35 miles in the forest this morning. It was surprisingly dry, so will probably forest run again tomorrow.
22 Jul
2:46pm, 22 Jul 2024
15,526 posts
  •  
hillstrider
This morning was 7.02 miles in the forest with Sarah F and Giuliana. It was wet and muddy in places, and we had to wade across a stream at one point.
22 Jul
3:30pm, 22 Jul 2024
2,678 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - well done re the recent two forest runs. Surprised to hear you had to wade through a stream at one point though.

OO61 - I must be 'old skool' as I didn't even consider doing the shed anything other than brown :)

I woke earlier than planned this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So I admitted defeat, got up, and did a 3ml fast walk. Then a bit later (10:30am) I went for a stroll in Pittville Park with the coffee and chat ladies. Just about to go and cut the lawns as I won't get a chance later this week.

My car is being MOT'd tomorrow and instead of the usual faff of dropping it off and/or waiting around or going back to pick it up later, it's being collected from our house and dropped off again later on.
23 Jul
10:07am, 23 Jul 2024
15,530 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, well done for your early morning brisk walk, and later, a stroll with the coffee and chat ladies.

I hope that your car passes its MoT today.
I always have mine picked up and returned.

The usual Tuesday Farmers Walk this morning. Very overcast, and will probably rain soon😕
23 Jul
12:39pm, 23 Jul 2024
2,680 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - I've had a phone call to say my car has passed its MOT. Turns out the tread depth of the two front tyres were both getting low, so I've asked them to fit two new ones. Just waiting for a phone call to let me know that's been done and they're returning the car.
23 Jul
1:35pm, 23 Jul 2024
15,534 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, that's good news that your car has passed its MoT. A good idea having the front tyres replaced before they become illegal.

I drive a lot less miles these days than in the past. Are you in the same position?
23 Jul
2:54pm, 23 Jul 2024
12 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 Congratulations on becoming a grandad! I hope your daughter and grandson are doing well, as HS says your grandson is definitely a whopper! Have you seen him yet?

HS You seem to be having some mixed conditions in the forest just now. It's similar here, some parts completely dry, but quite wet in others. I've almost given up on the summer, every time the sun shows it's face it's followed by rain. On the one hand the gardens rarely need watering but the wet weather has resulted in a plague of slugs and snails which are eating everything in sight. You are wise to drive as little as possible nowadays. We found the roads (motorways in particular) really stressful on our recent trip, it makes you wonder how people get through their driving tests these days and whether anyone ever reads the Highway Code.

WtnMel Pity about the golf, but at least the handicap system has you on equal points going into the last match, so still all the play for. We had 4 new all weather tyres fitted before our trip to Torquay as they were starting to get close to the legal limit. It cost an arm and a leg but was worth it for the peace of mind when driving in the rain on the motorway. Our service and MOT are both due next month, so better start saving up now even though we don't anticipate anything much needing to be done.
Feeling a bit fed up at the moment because various things seem to be breaking down one after another. The shower door keeps coming off it's runner so needs to be repaired, yesterday one of the blinds on the patio door broke and needs to be replaced, and today my phone died. One minute it was okay the next the screen went blank and now it's completely dead. While away I used it for Waze while Steve was driving and it got really hot, it's been doing that a lot lately so I think the battery has finally packed in.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..