Vet age categories

4 watchers
SPR
12 Sep
11:54am, 12 Sep 2024
46,079 posts
  •  
SPR
The other thing is do you shorten your overall career by doing the marathon younger (assuming you care) while you can get a double bite at track and road by going the traditional route.
12 Sep
12:00pm, 12 Sep 2024
25,567 posts
  •  
larkim
From a career earnings perspective, I'd guess that Bekele / Kipchoge approach is the best one; but if the youngsters are just better at the marathon, then the end of career earnings path looks undermined. No evidence for that just yet, with the times that both Bekele and Kipchoge have achieved. But if a slew of 20-25yos come along a post 2:00:xx or even 1:xx:xx times then it would start to suggest that the old fashioned approach might not be available any more.
12 Sep
7:14pm, 12 Sep 2024
372 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
It makes sense to go to the marathon faster like Kelvin Kiptum did.
Start focusing on HM's at a young age and then go to the marathon. That's where the money is.

I feel like training for a 14-15 minute race is not the best preparation for a 2hr+ racelater. Just a feeling, no real evidence for that stance.
Much better to train for a one hour race first (less taxing) and then make the transition to the two hour race.
SPR
12 Sep
7:22pm, 12 Sep 2024
46,096 posts
  •  
SPR
Thing is their 14-15 minute race training is better than most amateurs marathon training. Also the best 5k runners generally can do it at marathon as they are both highly aerobic events.
13 Sep
7:04am, 13 Sep 2024
25,582 posts
  •  
larkim
Also, cf David Roche's philosophy. He just set the record at the Leadville 100 and his whole approach was based on being fast over 1 mile / 5k. I've not done any more than listen to the latest Real Science of Sport podcast with him, but he cited a lot of evidence that basically said speed over those distances correlates we strongly with ultra performance. Though he did also confirm that his fatigue resistance was also built on a long time laid down foundation.
13 Sep
2:21pm, 13 Sep 2024
375 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
I have listened the podcast too. It makes sense if you run an ultra at say 60% of your ceiling it's useful to get your ceiling higher.

Time will tell if more young athletes take the Kiptum approach or not.
13 Sep
2:27pm, 13 Sep 2024
6,432 posts
  •  
paulcook
Ultra wise, I now follow a Jason Koop philosophy, and some of that comes down to first off raise your ceiling.
15 Sep
10:33pm, 15 Sep 2024
9,420 posts
  •  
Pothunter
In rowing the Masters categories (formerly known as Veterans) begin at 27!

The next categories are 36, 43 and 50 after which it goes up in 5 year increments.
15 Sep
10:52pm, 15 Sep 2024
25,609 posts
  •  
larkim
Truly bizarre!
16 Sep
12:10am, 16 Sep 2024
6,452 posts
  •  
paulcook
Which I think means you could go from the best young rider at the Tour de France to a rowing veteran from one year to the next!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Where do you think Vet age categories should start in races / leagues?