RW Mature Runners

3 lurkers | 12 watchers
26 Jun
3:58pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,654 posts
  •  
WtnMel
@hillstrider - enjoy the IOW tomorrow and well done re today's 6ml run.

I took Margaret to Winchcombe to the dentist this morning and afterwards we did our big shop - it was so lovely and cool in Tesco, I wish we could have stayed there ;) Just logged this morning's walk and off to the driving range now to see how well (or otherwise) I can hit golf balls after a long break.
26 Jun
6:39pm, 26 Jun 2024
4 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 Enjoy parkrun. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

WtnMel Does the golf practice mean you and Alan will be playing again in the near future? Your ramble sounds as if it was a bit tiring in the heat, I chuckled at the stile v gate incident, I hope Sue saw the funny side too.
HS Well done for a 6 mile run this morning with hill repeats. I hope you have a good time in the Isle of Wight. Nice to have a family get together like that.
After a misty start this morning it’s turned out to be another hot one here, so I’m glad it’s a non running day. I’m hoping to get out early tomorrow while it’s a bit cooler.
26 Jun
6:56pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,655 posts
  •  
WtnMel
@Aquarius - yes, Alan and I are playing golf on Friday, so some practise was required. Turned out after I'd 'warmed up' - aka. hit around 10 duff shots - I was (mostly) okay and the balls (mostly) went in the desired direction ;) Sue did see the funny side - as I opened the gate, everyone waiting cheered and Sue's reaction on looking up to see what the cheering was about was Victor Meldrew style as in .. "Oh no .. I don't believe it!"

I got a bit warm down on the driving range just now, even though I was under cover. But it's supposed to get a bit cooler by tomorrow, which is good news for Margaret and my walk around Croome. Margaret doesn't cope well with the heat ..
27 Jun
10:59am, 27 Jun 2024
5 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel I'm keeping everything crossed for your golf match on Friday! Enjoy your visit to Croome today, fingers crossed the weather is more comfortable, I sympathise with Margaret regarding the heat.
I went out for a 7 mile jog just after 6am this morning, and although it was a bit cooler it still felt very close. The wind picked up in the last 2 miles though which made it feel much fresher. Disappointed to find my knees complained all the way. It probably didn't help that around 5.5 miles I decided to take a detour up a very steep farmers track, and ended up walking it. Much too ambitious thinking I could run it.
We're switching TV and broadband provider tomorrow (from Virgin back to Sky) and also have the two grandsons as it's an Inset day. I hope the Sky engineer likes inquisitive kids!
28 Jun
10:36am, 28 Jun 2024
15,339 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks WtnMel and Aquarius, yes I did have a lovely time meeting up with my cousins, see below.

WtnMel, best of luck for todays golf match with Alan. I hope that the practice at the driving range will have been productive!

Aquarius, I'm sorry to hear that your knees are still being troublesome, but well done for the 7 miles with a bit of Jeffing.

My visit, with my sister to the 8 Bells Pub in Carisbrooke IoW to meet up with our cousins was very enjoyable. Quite an interesting logistical journey. Passenger ferry to Southampton, Red Jet ferry to West Cowes, number 1 bus to Newport, and taxi to the pub.

It was great catching up, and one of my cousins brought a lot of documents with him re our ancestors, which he has been collecting over the years. It was refreshing having a meet up which didn't compromise almost entirely about running.

Return journey was the reverse of the outgoing.
28 Jun
10:37am, 28 Jun 2024
15,340 posts
  •  
hillstrider
29 Jun
2:14pm, 29 Jun 2024
6 posts
  •  
Aquarius
HS Glad to hear you had a good time meeting up with family members. By the sounds of it you had quite a journey to get there. That lovely photo will be a nice reminder of the day. I imagine hearing about the family research your cousin has been doing would be really interesting. I've dabbled a bit in researching various strands of our family tree and found it very addictive.

Looking forward to hearing how WtnMel's golf went, and also 0061's parkrun.

I did Chopwell Woods parkrun again this morning, those hills don't get any easier but I did manage to finish 50 seconds faster than last week so an improvement of sorts. (Knees were fine too).
29 Jun
4:45pm, 29 Jun 2024
15,353 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks Aquarius, the journey wasn't as tricky as it seemed. We had planned it all in advance, so just had to keep an eye on the timings for connections.

I've also done some research into our ancestors, and a few years ago, attended classes at the local library.

Well done for this mornings Chopwell parkrun, which was 50 seconds quicker than last week. Good to hear that your knees were fine.

I did the Bartley Park parkrun again this morning, but was a little disappointed with 30.31. I was 78th out of 133, and 1st AG 75-80.

I've found that I can only post one photo per post. If I want to post more, I have to open a new post for each one. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, as others manage to post several pictures together.
29 Jun
7:01pm, 29 Jun 2024
32 posts
  •  
OO61
Nice photo hillstrider, sorry I can't help with the technical stuff. Nice parkrun too.
Hope you got a good game of golf in Wtnmel.
Glad you ran well at Chopwell Aquarius I'm still to do that one.

Muncaster Castle went well. A lovely route, a beautiful intact castle, just a few hills and drizzling rain to contend with. Highly recommended 👍
30 Jun
2:45pm, 30 Jun 2024
15,362 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks 0061,
I'm glad to hear that Muncaster Castle went well, sounds like a really lovely course.

This morning was a solo, hilly 4 miles road run at recovery pace. I'm not running tomorrow, as the club are doing a 1 miles challenge on the grass track Tuesday evening.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..