Politics

10 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
8:58pm, 16 Dec 2019
3,969 posts
  •  
Raemond
I'm not so sure about that, Chrisull - I think it was at least partly informed by a pretty snobbish undervaluing of other forms of learning and skills. Not everything is well suited to being taught in a traditional university environment and not everyone learns well there either.

I completely agree that everyone should have the option (and be encouraged) to continue learning and developing in ways that work for them throughout their lives, but I think a better though more difficult way to achieve that than saying everyone should go to uni would be to redress the discrepancy in value a lot of people ascribe to a Masters degree over years of practical experience as mechanic, say (two arbitrary examples), as well as promoting the idea that it's good to learn about things regardless of whether you can or plan to make money from doing them.
Dec 2019
9:04pm, 16 Dec 2019
316 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Fizzy, on air pollution I was shocked to read that the EU’s standard of 25mg is double that of the US (12mg) - WHO standard is 10mg. Perhaps the only area where the US has better regulation than EU?
theguardian.com
Dec 2019
9:06pm, 16 Dec 2019
317 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Sorry meant Fozzy😊. We don’t know how stringently the US enforces its standards, but then again, ours are regularly exceeded.
Dec 2019
9:37pm, 16 Dec 2019
15,620 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Oh yes Blair's idea was far from perfect, and maybe the motivations were less than idealistically sound - BUT it's been running the other way for years now:

a) rampant anti-intellectualism
b) devaluing of degrees so much so that many graduates are just unemployed
c) only in English do you have the derogatory terms "too clever by half", "smartarse/smarty pants", "nerd"

I'm tired of debating with people who can't critically reason (no this isn't a sideways swipe at Stander who is a robust debater) I find plenty of them supposedly on the same side as me, even amongst friends. Jeremy can't be anti-semitic, because he's anti-racist and he's having to put up with countless smears. Try arguing both those can be true and yet he can still be anti-semitic, without causing a row. (Clue, you can't).

Skills should be valued, and I was irritated at school, when I attempted to leave at 18, I was almost strong armed back into university... who do you want to be a programmer? I'm glad I did, because I wouldn't know a thing about art otherwise (that is another story) But we should never stop learning. The more I learn, the more I understand how little I know, and how my curiosity yearns to fill that chasm.
Dec 2019
11:41pm, 16 Dec 2019
3,410 posts
  •  
mr d
BBC News - Labour: Thornberry begins legal action over 'stupid' Brexit claims
bbc.co.uk

Not getting any better for labour.
Dec 2019
6:06am, 17 Dec 2019
20,191 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
It’s probably good news for Labour, long term. Thornberry probably does have that view, remember the tweet sneering at the bloke with the white van in his drive and flying the St George cross.

This should remove her for the leadership contest.
Dec 2019
9:01am, 17 Dec 2019
124 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
News this morning also showing that the government going to legislate against any further extensions being allowed.

The new majority should prevent any extensions, but making it illegal hopefully shuts down actions from those remainers who are so desperate to prevent brexit that they try and use any frivolous legal loop hole or procedure.
Dec 2019
9:17am, 17 Dec 2019
15,621 posts
  •  
Chrisull
But if they legislate and leave a loop hole...

It seems an un-necessary waste of time, the govt have effectively won their second referendum, Lindsay Hoyle is far less likely to cause disruptions as speaker than Bercow (typically speakers are pains in the neck for their own party, not their opposing one). I think the attitude is let Johnson get on with it, and on his own head be it. It can't be stopped, so let's all speed up our citizenship applications for the EU countries we are related to, so we don't lose our rights in Europe, to study, work and live, and observe from the sidelines.

The problem with legislating and fixing dates - as with article 50 - is it leaves us in a position of weakness. We are the ones who don't want no deal (especially now that Trump is killing the WTO), however much we bluster. The EU know this. We are the ones who back ourselves into a corner time-wise by doing so. Johnson's got 4 years before he needs to even think about an election, so why not concentrate on getting the best deal possible, not the only deal he can negotiate by the end of next year before he runs out of time in a self imposed deadline? What happens if there's a natural disaster along the way? Or massive terrorism problems? Events have a way of taking over...
Dec 2019
9:19am, 17 Dec 2019
20,192 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
I can’t bear this new thing where Parliament legislates itself to do something in the future. Meaningless as they can just as easily legislate to void it when the time comes. Seems similar to the pledges on Ed’s stone, just an attempt to say we’re ‘really really serious’.

Suspect this is aimed at the E.U., to focus minds on Dec 20.

Wriggler will be able to say ‘no deal winning’ again though... ;-)
Dec 2019
9:19am, 17 Dec 2019
25,009 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
You beat me to it. Maybe not winning, just back in the running.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.