Politics

23 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
9:49am, 17 Dec 2019
125 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Actually JDA - I expected a delay. I was wrong. I freely admit that. No trolling here - stupidly or otherwise.

Perhaps if a few more of you in here also realised that you are wrong then there wouldn't be such animosity in this thread.
Dec 2019
9:53am, 17 Dec 2019
126 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
Shall we start with the - oft cited as fact in here - lie that the majority of the country didn't want Brexit?
Dec 2019
9:54am, 17 Dec 2019
1,406 posts
  •  
Weean
The trouble is we all think we're Cassandra (speaking for myself, I really hope I'm wrong).

I imagine it's really frustrating for you to be told that your predictions are all wrong, Stander. Imagine being told that your predictions are going to come true (by all those hated experts), but then seeing everyone act contrary to your advice.
Dec 2019
9:56am, 17 Dec 2019
31,872 posts
  •  
LindsD
I'm happy to admit 'I was wrong' but I'm not sure what you want me to admit 'I was wrong' about. We don't yet know what is going to happen, but we have economists and other experts telling us what they think and it's not positive.

Tell me what I was wrong about and prove it, and I'll happily accept that.
J2R
Dec 2019
9:58am, 17 Dec 2019
2,460 posts
  •  
J2R
All along, I have never been able to decide whether what we're seeing is a coordinated hard right takeover, where the dark money think tanks, the billionaires, the vulture capitalists steer the government in the way they want in conformance with some pre-ordained plan; or whether the government is just floundering from one populist soundbite to the next, and the hard right forces are just riding on their coat-tails, unable to believe their luck.

This second notion, of a recklessly irresponsible government, without any actual plan, indulging in wilful myopia, is actually rather more comforting to me, and I'm beginning to swing more to believing that now. One of the reasons is their continuing to play to the UK gallery with things like enshrining the 2020 Brexit departure in law, a completely pointless and stupid gesture when they have the majority to do what they want anyway. It really as if their whole focus has simply been on 'winning', and now they have comprehensively won, they really don't have any plans as to what to do next. All they can do is to do what has worked for them so far, get the roars from the crowd.
Dec 2019
31,873 posts
  •  
LindsD
And I don't dispute that the people who voted leave want Brexit, but the issue is that a. no one knew/knows what sort of a Brexit those people who voted leave want as it's a complex issue AND that b. they/we were lied to.

And, most importantly, it's a very intricate and difficult issue that should never have been put to a simple Yes/No referendum. Now it has and we've had the election that has returned a Tory majority yes, it's going to happen, but that doesn't mean that any of the above has changed.
Dec 2019
9,797 posts
  •  
larkim
Can you point to a fact that establishes that the *majority of the country* did want Brexit?

I think there is a substantial number who positively wanted it, a substantial number who positively opposed it, and then a rump in the middle who were either continunally "on the fence" or persuaded to support it because of the outcome of the referendum, or came onboard with with "oh, just get on with it" mantra.
Dec 2019
9:59am, 17 Dec 2019
31,874 posts
  •  
LindsD
I think your second option is the one, J2R. Although both scare the willies out of me.
Dec 2019
10:03am, 17 Dec 2019
25,012 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
On the plus side I Just found a 5 pound note in the washing machine, I am going to take ownership of it.
Dec 2019
10:07am, 17 Dec 2019
127 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
I can give you two Larkim

2016 referendum result
2019 general election result

And I assume you will now go down the route of including those that didn't vote to back up your dodgy claim that only a minority wanted it.

Don't vote - you don't count. Or you accept the result of those that do. So they should be added to the Leave numbers in full.

And yes, that last sentence is me trolling (slightly) for once. :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.