Politics

16 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
10:43am, 17 Dec 2019
10,317 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Sadly, I think i'm also in the camp of looking at the recent governments of the UK and thinking the cause of many of our issues is incompetence, not malice.

Unfortunately, the outcome could be very similar either way. I'm just still hoping (although I don't know q
Dec 2019
10:58am, 17 Dec 2019
10,318 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Grr- phantom click on the "submit" button.

Sadly, I think i'm also in the camp of looking at the recent governments of the UK and thinking the cause of many of our issues is incompetence, not malice.

Unfortunately, the outcome could be very similar either way. I'm just still hoping (although I don't know quite know why) for an upsurge in a more compassionate and truly centrist population whilst we still have a democracy.

Maybe the next generation will be collectively wiser than mine/ours.
Dec 2019
11:02am, 17 Dec 2019
9,799 posts
  •  
larkim
For the next five years, my best hope is that Boris uses his comfortable majority to pander to the centre ground more than the RW. Despite much of his background, I do think that in some key areas he shares a more modern outlook on matters of equality etc, and he may actually be able to be a moderating influence on the Raabs, Patels, Rees-Mogg's of this world. That all may be a vain hope, but it is my hope nonetheless.
J2R
Dec 2019
11:11am, 17 Dec 2019
2,462 posts
  •  
J2R
Sadly, larkim, I think that Johnson is effectively just a carbon copy of Trump (albeit adapted for the British market) and will simply go for what gets him the most easy adulation, which means fanning the flames of simplist right-wing populism rather than getting bogged down in the tedious and awkward nitty-gritty of policies.
Dec 2019
11:12am, 17 Dec 2019
763 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Kinda mental now that we have an MP in Westminster(albeit he won’t take his seat), that’s father was murdered by terrorists with the aid of the British state.

A United Ireland could be more of a possibility than an independent Scotland.
Dec 2019
11:14am, 17 Dec 2019
1,012 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
Boris really will have to move into the centre and deliver his election promises to all the traditional Labour supporters who helped to vote him in, otherwise he will simply lose all of his gains and probably more besides. He will know that this is one of the key ingredients that will most likely keep him in power.

But who knows, anything could happen in the next 5 years. Expect the unexpected.
Dec 2019
11:18am, 17 Dec 2019
3,975 posts
  •  
Raemond
The timetable and mechanism for those losses isn't clear, though - if it takes five years to have any impact it's not going to be much of a concern, and I certainly can't see any sort of reform allowing spontaneous recall of MPs at the behest of constituents being introduced by the current executive.
jda
Dec 2019
11:25am, 17 Dec 2019
6,001 posts
  •  
jda
I think it's funny the idea that he's going to start pandering to the north because they voted for him. I bet his new MPs are horrified at the thought that they are going to have to spend their weekends in places like Stoke listening to gurning northerners.
Dec 2019
11:31am, 17 Dec 2019
9,800 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm trying to optimistic J2R. My instinct agrees with your description of him, and I don't think there is any doubt that he is deeply flawed. But his work in London wasn't all bad (yes, some bad examples, definitely) and the requirement to pander to the North to ensure that they don't remove what looks like potentially temporary electoral support may well force him in that direction politically, even if his instincts aren't entirely on that route.
Dec 2019
11:38am, 17 Dec 2019
1,013 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
Not sure it's pandering to the North, but he needs to something to maintain his unexpected support. In the meantime, if the Labour party do manage to get their act together to form a realistic opposition, most of those "new" voters will simply revert back to their original party.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.