Politics

15 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
11:47am, 17 Dec 2019
9,327 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Re: 'pandering' to the North.

I'd agree with BB - he doesn't just need to not show a negative impact for the people in Northern constituencies - the feeling I have from the tone of many people saying (actually very clearly) that they *lent* their vote to the Tories, perhaps in part for Labour's manifesto, perhaps in part for Johnson's stance on Brexit, perhaps because of Corbyn.

But to retain those votes, he'll have to actually *deliver something* to these people that looks like a *real* benefit.

I now don't know whether he will or not.
J2R
Dec 2019
11:47am, 17 Dec 2019
2,463 posts
  •  
J2R
The only pathetic little consolation prize I had after the election was the thought that Corbyn would resign or get the heave-ho and be replaced by someone more electable. Alas, the Labour Party seem intent on accelerating their journey to complete irrelevance by manoeuvring to select Rebecca Long-Bailey, someone even less electable than Corbyn, as their next leader. It's another aspect of what I said the other day - it's far more important for them to prevent a centrist becoming leader of the Labour Party than it is to prevent a far-right Conservative from becoming PM.
Dec 2019
12:04pm, 17 Dec 2019
9,802 posts
  •  
larkim
I think there is an element of pragmatics that means perhaps the Labour Party has to go through the "make the same mistake twice" approach. Corbyn/Momentum were able to make a surprise assault on the leadership of the party through a combination of taking advantage of low membership numbers / new membership for the election, plus inherent support from some of the larger, more influential, left wing Union leadership.

Those factors in the Labour Party internal electorate didn't disappear on Friday morning, and even though they won't admit it explicitly they are now in the phase of "OK, so they didn't like Jeremy, but our hard left position is correct and our policies are correct, so we'll continue to use our influence to keep the party on the left." Without a stealth centrist emerging from the left, it's almost a foregone conclusion that if Momentum et al can get behind a candidate of the left they will garner sufficient votes to put them in the leadership position. RL-B seems to be that candidate that they will be coalescing around.

She definitely has more plus points than Corbyn in terms of raw electability (across the voting public) - no history of sharing platforms with Irish Republicans, Hammas etc, harder to make the accusation that she's stuck in the 70s. A female LP leader too would be offering something new and different for us.

Personally I would want to see a properly centrist leader - someone of the Blair / Brown political direction. But I'm feeling like we won't get that. If we do get more of the same, the only hope is that either a) the size of the Corbyn effect is being under-estimated, and the population might be persuaded of the left direction / policies on their merit (something in my heart I would like to see, however unlikely this might seem) or b) the new hard left leader gets trounced in consecutive local elections and stands aside in time for a proper assault on the 2024 GE, helped by a flailing Tory govt.
Dec 2019
12:09pm, 17 Dec 2019
15,673 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Stoke isn't North....and neither is Durham.....will he bother showing an interest in Scotland who didn't vote for him !
Dec 2019
12:11pm, 17 Dec 2019
10,321 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
"Pandering" to the North - or keeping electoral Promises?

I don't think Boris is big on either.....
Dec 2019
12:23pm, 17 Dec 2019
9,328 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This is why there will be an extension despite "making it illegal" in the new WA:

"Sabine Weyand was very clear on this at this morning's @epc_eu breakfast: after July deadline, EU can no longer negotiate under Art. 50 so any extension to transition is legally impossible. You would need to negotiate a new international mixed agreement with full ratification etc"

Also note the more worrying thing in the news this morning was the stripping of the provision on no regression of worker's rights.

Hardly surprising I guess.
Dec 2019
12:25pm, 17 Dec 2019
25,013 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think J2R has it, and it is my worry, Bojo will do a lot of grandstanding about the NHS/North money, in reality I doubt it will add up to much that is new, but the window dressing might just work out, and it is such a swing, it could take at least 2 GEs to get it back.

Add to that, as it seems, they are going to parachute Log-Bailey is is a bad move, she is not very good at all, I saw a coupl eo finterviews with her and she was poor (possibly becuse she was defending shit policies), and is, in any case a Corbyn acolyte and will be portrayed as such, so that is a disaster in itself.

As for the next Labour leader being a woman, I really couldn't care less, there has to be someone good, the cupboard is just about bare.
Dec 2019
12:27pm, 17 Dec 2019
3,667 posts
  •  
run free
Mark - BJ will be keeping his promise of "Get Brexit Done". That's what they want. All the other stuff is fluff.
Dec 2019
12:29pm, 17 Dec 2019
3,668 posts
  •  
run free
BJ needs to realign with the US as the new trading partner.
SPR
Dec 2019
12:37pm, 17 Dec 2019
29,808 posts
  •  
SPR
I was thinking exactly what run free said about Boris. It was a Brexit election.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.