Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
1:08pm, 16 Dec 2019
8,314 posts
  •  
simbil
Early signs of what BoJo actually wants are a more distant relationship with the EU based on not being aligned with EU standards.
This leads to a more Canada like free trade agreement and with the best will in the world, that takes a few years to sort out.
This has the advantage of making deals with others easier but we can't have an easy free trade agreement with the EU *and* easy free trade agreements with others like the US.

If the US had some kind of agreement with the EU (like the failed TTIP), it would have been easier all round.

Strategically good for an aggressive US though - divide and conquer the EU and they don't have to compromise with a big trading block.
Dec 2019
1:09pm, 16 Dec 2019
1,402 posts
  •  
Weean
Chlorinated chicken, sir?
Dec 2019
1:10pm, 16 Dec 2019
1,403 posts
  •  
Weean
(that followed nicely from DeeGee's post, but makes little sense on its own)
J2R
Dec 2019
2:10pm, 16 Dec 2019
2,458 posts
  •  
J2R
Stander, I didn't say Leave voters were thick. I said that in a group of moderately well-educated people, it's likely the majority would be Remainers. However much this might rankle with you, it's unfortunately borne out by data. Take a look at this: https://www.theweek.co.uk/89378/fact-check-did-uk-s-better-educated-vote-remain.
Dec 2019
2:19pm, 16 Dec 2019
1,008 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
JDA, I can understand your frustration if you are an ardent remainer (not absolutely sure, but you sound like you are). However, one thing we can do is accept it (what other choice do we realistically have anyway?)
My whole view of Brexit is based on the fact that none of us know what life will be like in 5-10 years time either inside or outside of the EU - None of us can see into the future, hence my point about making the best of it.
jda
Dec 2019
2:20pm, 16 Dec 2019
5,994 posts
  •  
jda
Maybe you didn't J2R but I'm happy to, having spent a bit of time knocking on doors and talking to people during the campaign. Eg someone was voting for Johnson because they didn't want to see populism win. Where do you start with such people? Answer, you don't, you just hope (in vain) that there aren't enough of them to matter.
Dec 2019
2:23pm, 16 Dec 2019
19,018 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Chlorinated chicken, but also, while we're on chicken, how about eggs?

Two sorts, Hens' and Kinder.

Both versions that meet European Food Safety standards are totally illegal in the USA.

Variation from regulatory alignment is one thing, but there are going to be times when we have to decide who's calling the tune and align accordingly, and regulate ourselves out of other markets.

And if our own standards don't meet either framework, then that's both markets gone.

Or are these other markets planning on varying their currently existing standards to meet our requirements as an exporter?

I'll give you a clue - they don't really give a shiny shit about us as an exporter.
Dec 2019
2:28pm, 16 Dec 2019
1,009 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
BTW, my Brexit view is also based on the balance of probabilities, having listened to both sides of the argument, which eventually boils down to my overall gut feel.

I believe there is a tendency for some people to display very specific "facts" that support their point of view. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I've probably spent far too much time trawling through the mass of facts, more facts, alternative facts, lies, damn lies and statistics!
Dec 2019
2:37pm, 16 Dec 2019
9,790 posts
  •  
larkim
The use of the courts to frustrate Brexit being a "bad thing" really annoys me.

Yes, those who made the cases did it with an explicit agenda to stop Brexit. That's unarguable.

But they were able to use the courts to frustrate the Brexit process BECAUSE IT WAS UNLAWFUL. The courts don't just block things because people are annoyed.

Pragmatically, unless we're anticipating civil unrest, we do need to accept that Brexit is happening now. Through gritted teeth etc, but it is inevitable. We just need a coherent opposition to articulate clearly if the govt is getting it wrong as we continue through the process. 3 months of delay in choosing a new leader for Labour will not help this one little bit.
Dec 2019
2:37pm, 16 Dec 2019
27,185 posts
  •  
macca 53
I had a few like that jda, including one who was going to vote Johnson because he was going to sort Brexit so he would still be able to go to Spain for his holidays 🙈🙈.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.