Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
J2R
Dec 2019
10:24am, 16 Dec 2019
2,456 posts
  •  
J2R
I asked the question because I've heard this sentiment expressed by people in recent days and I thought it was a sadly interesting one. Personally, I don't think we could have done anything other than try to prevent it if there were any means to do so, because it would be unconscionable to allow a disaster to occur without trying to do something. If I'm in a bus and a small majority of passengers decide to crash the bus, I'm not going to sit there thinking, "Fair enough, it's democracy".

The problem partly now is the battle for history, how history will be written by the victors and how that will be used. Already with things like "The People's Government" the narrative is being forged and hardened that 'Boris' stood up for the People against the shenanigans of the dastardly Remain establishment which tried to thwart the Will of the People. And that narrative will be used to justify a great power grab for Government, from Parliament and the courts. Standard issue right-wing populism, of course, but the actions taken by Remainers have in many ways allowed that narrative to form.

Of course, one of the things about the creation of a standard narrative for consumption by posterity is that everything is simplified and made to seem inevitable. In reality, this could so easily have gone the other way, if events had turned out ever so slightly differently at certain junctures. For example, amendments which fell a few votes short, which would have changed everything. And perhaps if the Lib Dems had elected Ed Davey as leader instead of the appalling Jo Swinson.
Dec 2019
10:32am, 16 Dec 2019
22,994 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
All true. They may control the "short run" narrative, but if Brexit goes tits up as predicted and the country breaks up, accompanied by long run economic decline, he and his party will be seen as the "unionists" (actually Little England nationalists) who destroyed the UK. They won't be able to worm their way out of that one.
Dec 2019
10:55am, 16 Dec 2019
1,007 posts
  •  
Brighouse Boy
Who knows how Brexit will actually play out, it's unchartered territory. All we can do now is make the best of it. Can't realistically see a no-deal Brexit happening, it's far too risky, whatever the politicians say. More likely a reasonable compromise which may not please either end of the spectrum but should at least allow us to move forward with some idea of where we are going.
Dec 2019
11:00am, 16 Dec 2019
2,060 posts
  •  
fraggle
I think the tories will vote for whatever deal Boris throws at them (even if it is mostly the same as Mays)

.....Because he’s a bloke
SPR
Dec 2019
11:04am, 16 Dec 2019
29,804 posts
  •  
SPR
I don't think there's going to be much fighting with an 80+ majority. You'd need a sizeable rebellion to even make a dent. As long as Johnson has his cabinet on side (again) should be easy, he'll get whatever he wants through.
Dec 2019
11:14am, 16 Dec 2019
113 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
"the problems of the last three years have had little to do with remainers"

I presume JDA posted that as a joke.

The MP's in the House of commons (who were majority Remainers) did everything they possibly could to frustrate Brexit.
Dec 2019
11:18am, 16 Dec 2019
114 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
And I personally believe that is because those MP's put themselves above what the public wanted, and thought they knew better than us, that the public sent such a great big "Fuck You" to those MP's and gave Boris such a majority.
jda
Dec 2019
11:20am, 16 Dec 2019
5,990 posts
  •  
jda
Stander, as you well know, it was the ERG who scuppered May's deal while almost all the tory remainers voted for it repeatedly.
Dec 2019
11:25am, 16 Dec 2019
115 posts
  •  
Stander Claus
May, another remainer who got a deal that could have left us permanently locked into the EU with her deal. The ERG saw straight through that.
Dec 2019
11:26am, 16 Dec 2019
3,962 posts
  •  
Raemond
Ah yes, but that's because it wasn't brexity enough jda, those plucky underdogs in the ERG were the only ones who trully understood what every single leave voter specifically wanted and who were prepared to stand up for it in the face of the evil sneaky remainer May.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.