•  
B Rubble
Sorry to see you go HT.
Dec 2019
10:22am, 13 Dec 2019
43,399 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That's perfectly justified. I'm not abusing the people who comment on here.

DV = Stander.

The style is almost identical (as are the current avatars (that's a joke)). I think he might be trying to post in a slightly different, briefer, way, but that doesn't disguise it completely
They hold precisely the same position
DV, like Stander, says he will be taking a step back or a break from this thread as soon as he's made his regular non-point
DV posts on the same threads as Stander, Politics. Joke thread, board games.
DV appeared very soon after Stander's last flounce

I don't really understand why he leaves and then comes back with a new identity and continues to deny his old one? But then there's a lot that can't be explained using logic.
Dec 2019
10:22am, 13 Dec 2019
43,400 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I would be prepared to bet a very large amount of money that DV is Stander.
Dec 2019
10:24am, 13 Dec 2019
23,179 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
HT - I can only speak for myself, but I was really keen to understand the motivation for voting leave, for the exact reasons you refer to. I asked Stander to explain, and after he’d claimed several times that he’d already made his reasons clear, and then eventually saying that he must have done it on another forum, he eventually referenced immigration. I raised a few objections to his viewpoint based on ONS data and existing EU legislation, but I don’t feel as though I got a further response with any clarity. I enjoy all rational debate on this thread, but would agree that it’s not always forthcoming.
Dec 2019
10:25am, 13 Dec 2019
15,597 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Ah ok - the other threads commonality would tally.

I thought at first DV might be SFL, but SFL is back *waves* (and no SFL I don't and never did like Corbyn, and he has got what he deserved, even if the rest of us don't deserve 5 years of unrestrained Tories)
um
Dec 2019
10:26am, 13 Dec 2019
1,497 posts
  •  
um
Davie - agree, but as a label 'serial tax avoiders' sort of vies with 'benefit cheats' - 2 extremes, both of which need to be sorted.
'Rich people' are not the same as 'serial tax avoiders'.

Amazon (& other international companies) follow the laws set by the countries they operate across, but with a vested self interest. If UK wants to change the tax these companies pay, they should changer their tax laws.

UK Amazon customers, however, know this and still presumably, prefer cheaper prices even though Amazon routes profits through Luxembourg or Ireland.
Dec 2019
10:27am, 13 Dec 2019
22,971 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think a wave of nationalism is rolling over the country from top to bottom, stoked up by politicians north and south of the border. This is a historical force which, I think, will need to play itself out, wherever it leads. Toxic English nationalism is now about to butt heads with the EU. Scottish nationalism is about to butt heads with English nationalism.

Both asymmetrical contests. I don't know where they will lead but each one has the potential to end very badly. The nationalist genie is well and truly out of the bottle now.
Dec 2019
10:28am, 13 Dec 2019
22,926 posts
  •  
Sushi.
Simbal you're right.

The majority of people did not vote Tory. They are as you said, first past the post winners.

That's why so many of us are unhappy with the result (and I'm not just talking about this thread)

I accept that this is the result but I think the whole system needs overhauling.

Not because I don't like this result but because I have believed for a long time, through labour as well as Tory governments, that it is flawed.

I think proportional representation would also make people feel like their vote, if cast, would count for more.
Dec 2019
10:29am, 13 Dec 2019
68,226 posts
  •  
Gobi
HT - I am surprised at this comment, I was actually given bandwidth with my thoughts on :
A - actually voting

B - the fact I didn't vote

For those of you wondering my Local MP, the Tory won and had 9000 more votes than last time. I believe he wins because he is a good local MP rather than because he is a TORY. I did as I said before actually put genuine time and effort into understanding my local area.

I am relaxed and comfortable with the fact I didn't vote.

As an aside, social media this morning is a very bitter place and there is no doubt that Labour supporters are the loudest in their complaints and are basically calling ever Tory supporter moronic(or wealthy) which seems a little rude.

I am glad I can look beyond political view when I choose my friends.

My final comments are regards Scotland, those who know me will know for a Welsh bloke my Scottish accent is pretty strong.(I was born in Edinburgh) Putting that aside I really do see myself as British and very anti an independent Scotland BUT I have to admit that I believe the Jocks deserve a 2nd referendum as the political landscape does not reflect a United Kingdom. Personally I will be very sad but feel it is now only a matter of time before I get a passport stamp when I go north.
Dec 2019
10:30am, 13 Dec 2019
1,056 posts
  •  
mushroom
Sorry if I've missed it in an earlier post:

Overall / popular vote:
Tories 44%
Brexit Party 2%

That does not make a mandate for Brexit. Democracy would be quite nice about now...

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.