Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
jda
Dec 2019
9:18am, 13 Dec 2019
5,974 posts
  •  
jda
I would like to publicly thank NDWDave for ensuring that I didn't give the worst prediction of the night :-)
Dec 2019
9:20am, 13 Dec 2019
43,391 posts
  •  
Diogenes
:-)
Dec 2019
9:22am, 13 Dec 2019
74 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
Diogense, I am indeed watching, but again, you are insulting the public's intelligence because they didn't vote your way.

Have you considered, that it's you and not them that is wrong?
zp
Dec 2019
548 posts
  •  
zp
I liked the optimism, jda. Can’t believe I was actually short on my prediction.

I need to stop watching and reading about it for a bit, too upsetting right now :(
Dec 2019
22,916 posts
  •  
Sushi.
B Rubble. Yes I remember. I was 13. I was already politically aware and in disagreement with my parents/g'parents.

I was 11months too young to vote in '87

This feels very similar to me too.
Dec 2019
9:23am, 13 Dec 2019
2,499 posts
  •  
OTannenbaumMike
A lot of my staff, those that can be bothered to vote, only saw the election as Boris v. Corbyn. They have no understanding of politics or policies or effect beyond that and the fact that they are fed up reading about Brexit as it occupies the space where the more interesting celebrity news should be (they dont read newspapers but hear it on the radio/tv). They have no idea they will likely be poorer and have a harder time caring for their elderly (which many already do).
Dec 2019
9:25am, 13 Dec 2019
10,208 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I don't think DV is Stander, unless he's changed his writing style. I thought Stander would've been on here to crow by now.
Dec 2019
9:27am, 13 Dec 2019
15,593 posts
  •  
Chrisull
This was a totally expected result. In fact it restores my faith in my knowledge of politics, after Brexit, Trump, then 2017, this above all was simple, predictable, and in line with what we know.

The only thing unexpected about it , was that it didn't happen in 2017 (I'm pretty sure I predicted a bigger Tory majority then - and lost a reasonable amount of money on it then :-( , would have been considerably richer today if 2019 had happened in 2017).

As for unpredictable votes, Brexit was close (so unpredictable, but not totally so), Trump was close (again not totally improbable). But as for yesterday, here a conservative nation with a small "c" didn't elect someone they perceived to be unpatriotic, indecisive, a poor communicator and offering seemingly unaffordable grab bag of goodies to the middle classes and almost solely to the middle classes. Who travels on trains? Who goes to university? Who depends on broadband? Who have lost their large segments of their pensions? No wonder the north looked at that manifesto and said no thanks. They mainly sat on their hands.

I won't say it was Marxist because outside Tory circles, that isn't an issue. His manifesto wasn't Marxist, it was kind of a social democrats wishlist with everything ticked, not just one or two items. I suspect some of the ideas on it will come to pass under a future Labour or Tory government.

So the question is why didn't this happen in 2017? And I think the simple answer was most people didn't yet know who he was. This isn't a "people are stupid" line. This is people don't care about politics in the same way the members of this thread do. I watch a video a week ago, where they asked what voters thought of Johnson ducking an Andrew Neil interview, and over 50% said "WHO IS ANDREW NEIL ?" They have more important things to do like live their lives, rather than waste time on trivialities that don't affect them seemingly.

It has taken this long for Corbyn to enter the public consciousness. Before then, I suspected people saw it as patronising to be told "he's a dangerous Marxist". They didn't know WHO he was, they were willing to give him a chance. Johnson is still his 2012 persona, it will take until 2021-22 before the broad majority of people start forming a view. Lib Dems should never have called this election... BUT on the plus side, Corbyn must go, and at least the starting gun is fired on getting rid of the toxic Corbynite thinking (especially on anti-semitism). You have to appeal to a majority of people. That means taking some unpleasant positions. It doesn't mean selling your soul. Compromise is not a dirty word. This was deserved. I'm just cross the last 2 years have been wasted getting to this point, but at least Labour can start looking at leaders who might start leading opinion polls again. It used to be a thing, once upon a time. It will be again.
Dec 2019
9:29am, 13 Dec 2019
43,392 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I've considered it, but on reflection I maintain my viewpoint. I've not seen any evidence that's made me change it, and that is why I despair.
Dec 2019
9:30am, 13 Dec 2019
22,917 posts
  •  
Sushi.
DV- if you're watching.

I don't like the result

I think majority are wrong.

This is not undemocratic

I accept it is the result.

Still think it's like turkeys voting for Christmas though.

Living in a democracy means that when the majority says 'jump' I don't have to say 'how high'
I have the right to express that there is a better alternative to jumping and that it's madness not to take it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.