Politics

5 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
7:51am, 13 Dec 2019
71 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
It’s early JDA. Brain not completely engaged. Only had first coffee.

How did you get to those percentages?
Dec 2019
7:56am, 13 Dec 2019
72 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
All due respect Linds, I’m not sniping.

If that is how you take it then I’m afraid that is your issue. I am not giving offence. You are taking it.

This thread is constantly full of comments about how stupid people are and much hatred directed has been at those not on the left. But that has been deemed acceptable.
Dec 2019
7:57am, 13 Dec 2019
33,664 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
I'm skipping to end and ignoring all analysis because it's now pointless.

:-( Conservative govt with a large majority, with a twit at the helm.
:-( Brexit happening straight away and with or without a deal.
:-( Financial damage due to Brexit. Social damage as Conservatives implement the tax cuts for super rich and tighten reins on welfare that they always wanted.
:-( Harder travel, trade and work and practical things to and from EU.
:-( Closer ties (whether actually privatising bits of NHS or accepting chlorine washed chicken or not) with USA and the nutter Trump at the helm.
:-( Climate change deniers leaving climate policy as lowest priority.
:-( Hugely disenfranchised Scotland (not all of it mrs s and Bazo!!) seething and spoiling for change.

Unless you are a billionaire or a very narrow-minded, self-interested only normal income person, this is a bad day.

And I stick with my " the general populace are stupid or self-serving" assertion - if you are low income and voted Tory, you just voted to stick forks in your eyes. If you are middle income and you voted Tory then you are sensible and uncaring. If you're a billionaire, you're quids in. Well done.
Dec 2019
7:59am, 13 Dec 2019
73 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
But in light of recent events, I suspect it is better I step out of the thread for a while.

I’m a happy bunny today. But I’m not going to pour salt on anyone’s wounds. I’ll leave you guys to self flagellate for a while and return once temperatures cool down a bit.

The word hasn’t ended today though. Nobody dies today.
Dec 2019
8:02am, 13 Dec 2019
33,666 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
DV, you are wrong. Statistically, under Tory austerity cuts, hundreds of people die unnecessarily every day due to poverty, homelessness and lack of health and social care. Git.
Dec 2019
8:03am, 13 Dec 2019
24,953 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
In places it is actually amazing, Bolton, Rochdale, Crewe, Redcar, you name it they must be labour for their own good, and yet they are not. I think it is much more a reflection of of how out of touch Labour are and the fact that they would no show any leadership whatsoever on Brexit. Purely, 100% Corbyn's fault.

What they do now I have no idea.

I wouldn't sit here and make any predictions whatsoever about what Johnson might do with this sort of majority.

Stoke, Bolsover...good grief.
Dec 2019
8:03am, 13 Dec 2019
834 posts
  •  
Roberto
Actually DV, lots of people will die due to this.

google.com
Dec 2019
8:06am, 13 Dec 2019
835 posts
  •  
Roberto
My only hope is that a lot of the swing of labour votes, appeared to head to brexit party in the constituency that Brexit party stood, rather than to the conservatives. In 5 years time, when brexit isnt done, the cuts are running deep and labour have installed even a half decent leader, they will romp to victory as all the brexit party voters who wanted brexit but couldnt bring themselves to vote tory return. And all.those that voted tory as didnt have a Brexit party candidate, also return.
Dec 2019
8:11am, 13 Dec 2019
24,954 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think that's my hope, people see Brexit for what it is and drop back, however, Labour will need a good leader and I don't see anyone.
Dec 2019
8:13am, 13 Dec 2019
1,656 posts
  •  
JRitchie
If I can find one possible positive from this (and I have posted this before) it’s that the size of majority Boris has means that he will have the ability to direct more as he feels and not so influenced by the More extremist ERG /DUP.

Think about this one second. Unlike Thatcher, Boris is not a conviction politician, he flexes his position in order to be popular and stay/gain power. He was in favour of EU before he changed his mind. He was in favour of May before he saw the writing on her wall.

People may want Brexit done but there is a lot of negative feeling towards the rubbish that the likes of IDS say. His tv piece this morning acknowledged that labour votes transferred bay be done so with a sense of them being “lent” for this term only.

I may be wrong, and a lot will depend on what the new crop of tories are like, but we may see In the years negotiation to come a lot more conciliation to a trade deal that will have lots of regulatory alignment with EU. He will he under significant - but quiet - lobbying from city of London for this. To Keep the current votes he will have invest more in the North - Id like to think he has learned that if he won that group once he do so again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.