Politics

10 lurkers | 212 watchers
Dec 2019
8:14am, 13 Dec 2019
3,661 posts
  •  
run free
The people have voted for Brexit above their own rights and though I really do not like Draco Malfoy and his ilk, let's hope the Tories can pull it off. The mainstream media still has the strongest soundbites and people will remember Draco for "Get Brexit done" and the other as being a terrorist sympathiser etc. Tories have shown how to use cyber bullying to full effect.

And the internet will allow lies to quickly snowball. It is difficult to undo a lie once it has been copied and pasted several times over.

Interesting to read FT see potentially Northern Ireland and Scotland leaving. ft.com
Dec 2019
8:22am, 13 Dec 2019
24,955 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Boris is a unionist. That won't happen. They have a majority of 80.
Dec 2019
8:25am, 13 Dec 2019
22,915 posts
  •  
Sushi.
I'm just devastated.

You've all covered pretty much the detail of why I feel like that.
Dec 2019
8:26am, 13 Dec 2019
19,011 posts
  •  
DeeGee
My urgent priority now is to get my Mother in Law's settled status sorted out, seeing as how Patel and Javid are intent on not so much pulling up the ladder as setting it on fire! Although, genuinely, I'm not sure how happy I am having to put her name on a list of "undesirables".

That's the last time I vote tactically. It has never done any good. In future I'm voting Green with a clear conscience.

I'll be honest, I'm not that worried for myself. I'll be alright. I own my own home, we've got savings, I'm a middle-tier executive in an organisation which privately runs a function of the state, and which the government would happily extend the function of. I'll be getting a tax cut and probably a pay increase, and the value of the pound will go up and make my trips to Paris, Holland and Chicago cheaper. But I don't vote for my own benefit. Sadly lots of people do, claiming to have the interests of 'the country' at heart. I've enjoyed having an NHS, but I've barely used it, so meh.

What's really got to me, though, is Scunthorpe, a formerly vibrant town built on British Steel, which has been spiralling into decline for two generations due to the sale of British Steel, voting for the party that sold off British Steel, because apparently "high EU tariffs on steel mean we can't sell steel overseas". They don't get it, never will, so they can have what they've voted for, put up and shut up!
jda
Dec 2019
8:27am, 13 Dec 2019
5,971 posts
  •  
jda
JRitchie, you are clutching at straws. The ERG and Brexit party have taken over the tories, there aren't any one nation types left.
Dec 2019
8:32am, 13 Dec 2019
29,504 posts
  •  
elfpint
Just seen a clip of Boris at his rally encouraging chanting from his supporters. All too familiar.
jda
Dec 2019
8:34am, 13 Dec 2019
5,972 posts
  •  
jda
Must admit I'm starting to wonder why I should give a shit about people less fortunate than myself. The damage from brexit probably won't touch me (chances are I'll even be a little richer under the tories, especially if they cut inheritance tax quickly enough). And if it all goes tits up to a significant extent I could just flounce off to Ireland any time I felt like it.

As for how clever "the people" are, well that will play out over the coming years when we see how well brexit goes. It's hardly been going well so far and we haven't even started to leave. But maybe I'll be wrong, along with every expert on the planet. Remember, they laughed at Galileo.

They also laughed at Bozo the clown.
Dec 2019
8:46am, 13 Dec 2019
9,396 posts
  •  
geordiesanta
I am seriously considering actioning my own personal leave campaign I am genuinely scared of what the future holds here.

Again as others have said I am probably safe enough, own home, bit cushioning in savings, pretty safe & steady job, transferable skills and we don't have kids to be worrying about but the bigger picture of what happens now, now he's trumped the competition and his bullish attitude is terrifying. Lets hope we are all proved wrong.
Dec 2019
8:49am, 13 Dec 2019
10,298 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Personally I am deeply disappointed with the outcome.
But it is the outcome, and there's no use crying over it.

For me, the next few years are about making the best of the situation, working to ameliorate the impacts of whatever changes the lawfully elected government make for those less fortunate, and doing what I can to bring some kind of conversation and reconciliation between extremes.

Life goes on.
Dec 2019
8:49am, 13 Dec 2019
15,662 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
JDA - I thought for a minute you said that I was a clown people laughed at !

It does feel like the UK have voted to make ourselves poorer and make our lives harder. Well the Scots didn't, but as a result of the rest of the UK having done so, we will follow suit and vote to add Independence to Brexit. Oh and we will leave the RUK with an even larger Tory majority when we go. Good luck with that :-(

When the Independence comes around I am gong to need to really challenge my thinking

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.