•  
LazyDaisy
That's fab, 1step :-)
Jun 2023
10:50pm, 19 Jun 2023
6,051 posts
  •  
flip
The question of fueling for longs swims also has me a bit stumped. I've a swim just over 5 miles at the weekend and apart from eating well the night before and having something in the morning , i've no idea. To me its a bit like my first marathon, , its all new . Well not quite, I've done half the distance twice with not stopping or aid and was fine .

They're are aid stations along the way so its not like you can't get something (and its freshwater so i guess you can drink anytime ) but swimming is so different to running , i don't know how i'll feel about anything. This isn't a race mind so just a comfortabe swim is the aim with no time in mind.
Jun 2023
6:08am, 20 Jun 2023
62,420 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's exactly it. Please report back
Jun 2023
6:08am, 20 Jun 2023
62,421 posts
  •  
LindsD
And good luck
Jun 2023
7:56am, 20 Jun 2023
6,725 posts
  •  
superflyguy
hey what about some form of calorific drink like tailwind for the longer swims?

Good luck
Jun 2023
8:32am, 20 Jun 2023
8,835 posts
  •  
KatieB
I'm going to get some gels ready for my final long swim this Sunday. Hoping for 3 hours so will take one before and one around 1.5 hours in. I know feed stations can get busy and I don't want to use things on the day that I haven't used before so that's my thinking, and yes, probably drinking lake water.

I used gels before Bantham and Coniston (3 miles=2hours 15) but didn't need them during...although during Coniston I got so cold I think I lost my decision making.
Jun 2023
4:34pm, 22 Jun 2023
6,052 posts
  •  
flip
That's exactly it. Please report back

Will do and thanks
Jun 2023
4:38pm, 22 Jun 2023
6,053 posts
  •  
flip
I'm going to get some gels ready for my final long swim this Sunday. Hoping for 3 hours so will take one before and one around 1.5 hours in. I know feed stations can get busy and I don't want to use things on the day that I haven't used before so that's my thinking, and yes, probably drinking lake water. I used gels before Bantham and Coniston (3 miles=2hours 15) but didn't need them during...although during Coniston I got so cold I think I lost my decision making.

I'm in coniston this weekend for my swim. Last time i was in coniston swimming 3.8k , it was september and 19 degrees ! Nearly all my OW swimming is in the fairly cold sea and half way round i was very very warm and wishing I had chosen not to wear a wetsuit. Im sure it won't be that hot . Well i hope not .
Jun 2023
4:11pm, 26 Jun 2023
29,231 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
My LSTD* yesterday (includes fuelling):

fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2023/6/469172

*Longest Swim To Date
Jun 2023
9:12pm, 26 Jun 2023
3 posts
  •  
JENNYLAREINE
I'm really pleased with my 5k swim yesterday with fetch, KatieB and Alison. Like a proper numpty I forgot all about nutrition even though I have experience from Coniston and Ullswater. I was grateful of the offer of a gel from KatieB but didn't use if after all. Half a banana after 2.5km did the trick very nicely and the experience on Sunday has confirmed my plan to take something on board at the halfway point - 3km - for my 6k Big Welsh Swim in two weeks, but that's all. Weirdly for me, a proper Eeyore, I'm looking forward to the swim already 🤔

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.