Open Water Swimming

1 lurker | 134 watchers
Jun 2023
5:22pm, 28 Jun 2023
62,634 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds really tough. I'm sorry. Well done for getting through it.
Jun 2023
5:35pm, 28 Jun 2023
6,056 posts
  •  
flip
That sounds really tough. I'm sorry. Well done for getting through it.

Oh , its fine, I'm all good . Its all learning curve & experience . Sometimes you just don't have a good day.
Jun 2023
5:44pm, 28 Jun 2023
62,636 posts
  •  
LindsD
True
Jun 2023
7:05pm, 28 Jun 2023
8,837 posts
  •  
KatieB
Big lakes have a way of being hard to plan for. My 3 miles in Coniston (2020) was cold, choppy and also slower than training pace. We had crosswind from our left so my right arm was constantly bashing my tow float and the chop made breathing to the left quite challenging. Luckily I can happily breathe either side. But that last little bit goes on forever and then suddenly stops. :-)
Jun 2023
8:40pm, 28 Jun 2023
6,057 posts
  •  
flip
Big lakes have a way of being hard to plan for. My 3 miles in Coniston (2020) was cold, choppy and also slower than training pace. We had crosswind from our left so my right arm was constantly bashing my tow float and the chop made breathing to the left quite challenging. Luckily I can happily breathe either side. But that last little bit goes on forever and then suddenly stops.

I've heard a few people say how cold Coniston was for various swims. I had the opposite problem. It was 20 degrees and as, being predominantly a sea swimmer, I was very warm. I wish I'd chosen skins.
I noticed a couple tow floats that had a mesh back with a bottle in. That would have stopped it blowing over my head. Someone even had a bottle tied to the back. This is something I'll take into account should I have another swim with a, strong wind behind me or from the side .

The chop was OK for breathing. Although I mainly breathe to my left I can do both and did at times.
Jun 2023
8:54pm, 28 Jun 2023
8,838 posts
  •  
KatieB
We have the option to swim without tow floats in Wales. Not sure what I’ll do yet but I think if there’s a strong wind I may go without.
Jun 2023
9:35pm, 28 Jun 2023
29,246 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I'll put some rocks in mine to stop it blowing about :-)
Jun 2023
9:47pm, 28 Jun 2023
3,682 posts
  •  
Oranj
I can understand the issues with a tow float blowing about on windy days. That used to bother me, and the strap 'walking' around my waist as I swam. I used to think 'what a faff'.

But I've become completely hooked on them now as I suffer with cramp in any swim over much more than an hour (the other week I managed 70 minutes without cramp, that might be a record for me). Having the float to hang on to while I attempt to kick out an attack of cramp in my legs has completely changed my confidence in open water - I wouldn't try to swim a long way without one now. In a pool it's a different story, the push off the wall every 27 seconds keeps my legs feeling OK.
Jun 2023
10:52pm, 28 Jun 2023
6,058 posts
  •  
flip
I'll put some rocks in mine to stop it blowing about

lol. I'd only encountered the problem a couple of times and the only briefly so it never really entered my head. Now that i'm aware of the problem either a heavier tow float or so sort of drag on it will be the answer. I'm happy of course ot not have one , but epic swims insist on it.

Its all a learning curve for me tbh. Ive just not had to swim in the same direction for that length of time before.

I wondering i can train some jellyfish to hold on to the float if needed. They're a friendly bunch on the whole . One gave me a kiss in scotland last year. On the lips as well :-)
Jun 2023
12:26am, 29 Jun 2023
62,643 posts
  •  
LindsD
:-0

I have had that tow float thing loads and never thought of putting sthg in it!

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.