Open Water Swimming

2 lurkers | 134 watchers
Jun 2023
9:18pm, 26 Jun 2023
29,232 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Nice to see you in the forum JENNYLAREINE :-)
Jun 2023
10:10pm, 26 Jun 2023
62,592 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's brilliant JENNYLAREINE
Jun 2023
6:48am, 27 Jun 2023
8,836 posts
  •  
KatieB
JENNYLAREINE nice to see you posting :)

Good luck for your 36 holes today, Ian was just telling me about it. Do you have a fuelling strategy for that?
Jun 2023
8:58am, 27 Jun 2023
6,077 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Some epic swims going on! 25 mins in the north sea for me today and it felt lovely once I got in.

But :-( my Dulsie long sleeved suit keeps unzipping. This may be a sign to ditch the sleeves for the summer, but I do love how this one keeps me warm through the autumn.
Jun 2023
12:31pm, 27 Jun 2023
62,596 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's annoying. Do you have someone else doing it up?
Jun 2023
12:32pm, 27 Jun 2023
62,597 posts
  •  
LindsD
I find mine sometimes upzips if I have done it myself because I haven't done it properly
Jun 2023
12:50pm, 27 Jun 2023
29,234 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've had the unzipping problem at least a couple of times. The thing that works for me is to have the zipper string coming out *above* the velcro strap. So far so good.
Jun 2023
12:58pm, 27 Jun 2023
6,078 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I did up my own zip :-( And it doesn't have a velcro strap. I just tried zipping it up on the line, and it unzipped again.

I've dropped Alpkit an email...
Jun 2023
2:04pm, 27 Jun 2023
62,599 posts
  •  
LindsD
They seem like nice people.
Jun 2023
5:19pm, 28 Jun 2023
6,055 posts
  •  
flip
I said i'd report back on my 5.25 Coniston swim .

This was my futhest distance but I've swam 2.4 miles twice . Once in Coniston with the same company ,quite comfortably doing it in 1:20 . The other time was in the Sea in June of the coast of North West Scotland in a tri and i did 1:08 and managed a 200k , 6000ft cycle after So i wasn't that fussed and my back of a fag packet sums had me coming in 3hrs or less.

Well that all went to cock straight away.

For some reason i'm yet too fathom out, my form was all over the place , i wasn't feeling to grand and my pace not great. I figured it would sort itself out and if i just switched off but it didn't really.

The wind was from behind and the waters quite choppy . My tow float is the type that does not hold anything so quite light . It clatered about my head and arms , annoying the hell out of me and futher destroying my form.

I stopped a couple of times to try and sort it out but i gave up even though it was in the way of my arms . I'm not sure if it was that but i then developed massive shoulder pain. I had a 15ft fall last year hurting my back and shoulders and for a while could not put my arm above horizontal. But that sorted itself out and hasn't been a problem since November ish .

It came back with avengence and i was in a fair bit of pain from about half way.

From being quite confident about the swim , i was not thinking , i'm not going to make it to the end.

From 3 miles it remined me of some of the Death marches i'd done when having a really bad day in an Ultra race. I really had to did deep . Something i'd never had to do before in a swim.

It seemed an age to the 5 mile marker and the last 0.25 miles was at least another 5 miles long !

I dragged my dizzy head and fat arse out in 4.05 hours knackered and not being able to lift my arm again. ( its stil very sore )

I'm yet to workout what went wrong apart form the tow float being too light.

It probably clashes with a Tri I want to do next year but thats not set in stone and i'll have to either go back and do it again or just do it myself when my shoulder is better.

Still i got a nice hoodie lol.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.