Open Water Swimming

1 lurker | 134 watchers
Jan 2023
2:03pm, 14 Jan 2023
37,602 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I find that I warm up so much better the less wet kit I have.
Interesting. My son bought me The Outdoor Swimmers' Handbook and I'm reading it at bedtime :-) Kate Rew the author also suggests ditching the wetsuit for winter swims as you can get into dry clothes much more quickly.
Perhaps, but I don't think I'm yet ready to ditch my shortie wetsuit in lido temperatures of 7* and below.
Jan 2023
8:34pm, 15 Jan 2023
12,928 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
In my journey I’ve probably come to the point where for me swimming is about wellbeing so I don’t focus on how long I just focus on being in the water

That gives me freedom with kit. And this winter (winter 3 for me) I have just found less is very much more. As you say the magic of less to take off and quicker into dry kit
Jan 2023
10:20am, 16 Jan 2023
6,013 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I’m waiting for it to get light enough to venture back into the sea before work in a morning. I know people do go in with lights in tow floats etc, but I can’t bring myself to get into dark water. So it will be a good couple of months before I get back in, unless I can manage a weekend dip.

I’m thinking of going back to a pool for the first time since 2018 but am a bit concerned that the noise, lights, environment and chlorine will make it a less pleasant experience.
Jan 2023
10:23am, 16 Jan 2023
12,930 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
I’m with you on that scribbler.. we do night dips sometimes in the river and freaks me out every time. Not done a dark sea dip and not sure what I would think either

Although be good to hear what you think of back in a pool. I bet your first reaction will be it is bloody hot 😂🙌
Jan 2023
10:30am, 16 Jan 2023
6,014 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
I’d be up for doing an organised Dark dip, with lights and glo sticks etc, but a lot of the appeal of outdoor swimming for me is being able to see the water and sky, and all the sea creatures.

Will let you know about the pool…
Jan 2023
10:37am, 16 Jan 2023
59,389 posts
  •  
LindsD
I love night swims, but wouldn't do one alone.
Jan 2023
11:22am, 16 Jan 2023
8,825 posts
  •  
KatieB
I’ve done night swims (organised and not) and for some reason the dark water doesn’t freak me. At the Shepperton 24 hour swim we had to have a flashing light on our goggle strap at the back of our heads. Someone had lost theirs (it turned out to be one of my teammates) and the flashing light at the bottom of the lake did slightly unnerve me. Especially the thought that it might be attached to someone.
Feb 2023
9:49am, 10 Feb 2023
28,715 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
For those of you who are chasing the winter open water swimming badges, I've just fixed a bug which was stopping their automatic allocation. If you have an OW swim for any of the relevant months (Nov thru March inclusive), you should be able to trigger the badge by either:

a) changing the subcategory to Open Water; or
b) if it's already Open Water, changing it to something else, then back again.
Mar 2023
10:32am, 14 Mar 2023
7,350 posts
  •  
1step2far
Penguin gold complete! Minimum of 1000 meters of open water every month from Nov. All in skins. 🥶
Has been absolutely brilliant!

Mar 2023
10:33am, 14 Mar 2023
7,351 posts
  •  
1step2far
Sorry I'm not looking happy had just been dumped on the beach by a very big wave 😂

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.