Open Water Swimming

134 watchers
Jan 2023
4:07pm, 5 Jan 2023
3,420 posts
  •  
Oranj
OxThamesSewage twitter.com for all your sewage alert needs [there have been rather a lot this winter :-( ]
Jan 2023
10:24am, 6 Jan 2023
1,522 posts
  •  
Mother T
I've stopped swimming any distance in the Thames because of this now, shame, the stretch from Streatley to Pangbourne was perfect for long swims! :-(
Jan 2023
7:54am, 7 Jan 2023
12,922 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
Morning all

I drop in now and then to say hello and see what you are all upto. Looks like some amazing swims happening and good stuff. inspiring!

This is my third winter and I have to say I am loving this one

Iā€™m a skins swimmer, breast stroke is my thing

I have been working since last winter on moving to pure skins. I have managed to drop shoes, socks and gloves now and starting to understand the mechanic of acclimatisation longer term

I still wear a bobble hat but I do try and get two head dunks in at least each swim to further push the tolerances

I found this year my hands really objected. In later Dec the caused me to shorten swims to under 3 minutes some days which I had to then question was it worth it for me. I kept going

I found exit water and towelling mitts straight on is my best weapon

This has changed winter swims for me. Literally a rectangle of towel sewn together as a mit and bingo your hands are straight into a shelter! Getting properly dry! I can also use them to dab my body dry and have enough mobility then to do the strange but wonderful after swim change routine! Once wets are off and basic drys are on I can then ditch the mits for a dry fluffy pair!

I noted that less in the water means when you do warm back up you feel magical. Cant explain it

Anyhow loving loving winter swims and I also love reading all your tips!
Jan 2023
8:15am, 7 Jan 2023
59,150 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's fab FRU
Jan 2023
10:16am, 7 Jan 2023
659 posts
  •  
smash
That's such a good idea FRU.
D2
Jan 2023
10:40am, 7 Jan 2023
12,930 posts
  •  
D2
Interesting idea re mitts, thanks. I've ditched neoprene gloves and socks as they were such a faff getting off in which time I found I got cold. Not having a problem with out them though of course I'm not swimming in water under 15 degrees either!! It was windy on my swim yesterday and I couldn't stay in as long as usual, still lovely though! :)
Jan 2023
11:44am, 7 Jan 2023
3,837 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
Went for a little sea dook this morning - my little rubber ducky thermometer said the water was 8 degrees. Was a bit dark this morning, so might have to stick a head torch in my float next time.
Jan 2023
12:32pm, 13 Jan 2023
529 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns šŸŒ¹šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ŗ
A couple of days late, but this was my first cold water swim under 10Ā°, 6.5Ā° at Taplow

Jan 2023
1:54pm, 13 Jan 2023
7,282 posts
  •  
1step2far
Ohh lovely :-) looks chilly though šŸ¤£
Jan 2023
1:52pm, 14 Jan 2023
12,927 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
D2 my hands seem to be adjusting. The mind boggles how your body does that! Started and could only do 2.5 mins. Water temp around 7 or 8 and I can comfy do 10 now.. sometimes more..

Third winter for me. Learning all the time!

Love it

I find that I warm up so much better the less wet kit I have. And the mitts are an instant saver help me get my hands back to life

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.