NEW - 2024 Adriene's 30 Day Yoga Journey

54 watchers
12 Jan
10:04am, 12 Jan 2024
66,075 posts
  •  
LindsD
I agree Flatlander. I do them like you do.
12 Jan
10:05am, 12 Jan 2024
22,305 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Adriene's version is sometimes called a 'high' plank. The sort you describe Flatlander often has elbows on the floor -so it's altogether lower. I agree the lower variety encourages you to engage core more, but both sorts are good.

Here's my (hem hem) coach Gemma putting both sorts together - this is a great exercise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7x_PK-xE7A&list=PLyVhDgk1LpulGqpbXSvv1NO3mBMvs6afO&index=39
12 Jan
10:07am, 12 Jan 2024
22,306 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Sorry, not very yoga- but Adriene herself often strays from the entirely traditional. Fair enough, I reckon.
12 Jan
10:24am, 12 Jan 2024
3,077 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Thanks Sharkie I thought there would be a reason for her position.

My Pilates teacher gets us to do our planks on our elbows, partly for those whose wrist and shoulder problems make it difficult for them to do the full length arm version (creates more stress on those joints) but mainly because it works the core more - I helped her out once by giving her the physics behind it.
Sometimes for a bit of variation she gets us to do the transitioning between elbows and full length arm that Gemma shows in your video. I like that.
12 Jan
10:29am, 12 Jan 2024
22,307 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I need to test it out but it's possibly easier (more efficient) to move from a high plank to down dog. my feeling (again I'll need to check) is also that there's less likelihood of arching your back in high plank, so it's kind of 'safer' as a transitional pose.
12 Jan
11:10am, 12 Jan 2024
4,686 posts
  •  
Cheeky’s Dad
Day 11 done ✅ Lots of poses that I find challenging today so a really good one for me
12 Jan
11:50am, 12 Jan 2024
40,619 posts
  •  
halfpint
Covid had me wiped out yesterday so I didn't do yoga. I have just done day 10 as feeling a bit better today. I might try do day 11 before bed as it sounds like it's ideal for that.
12 Jan
2:07pm, 12 Jan 2024
22,308 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Day four earlier then five followed by (yikes) six just now.

Looking at comments a few pages back I agree about the fast-ish nature of day four, and the missing side. I let it miss.

Day five wasn't 'that' easy for me. Like Linds, I find fire hydrants and the like quite tricky to do properly with your weight centred (esp with wayward hips like mine. Not hidden brag) You really need to concentrate. Well I do.

As for Trad Day Six. Yes very Pilates, (double leg and single leg stretch AL?) done slowly I think they're killers. I don't have much bend in my thoracic spine and it's murder getting my shoulder blades off the mat.

Or perhaps I've just let my core go! Have noticed hideous dough ball tummy this past year. Perhaps can blame extreme age?

ANYWAY. - full marks for those hideous obliques exercises, Adriene.
12 Jan
2:18pm, 12 Jan 2024
2,628 posts
  •  
RooA
I did Day 5 today. I'm dreading Day 6 tomorrow a bit. Have horrid period pain today, "engaging the lower abs" for the hip circles and fire hydrants was bad enough thanks. 😆 BUT hopefully it'll be less bad tomorrow and I can HTFU and get it done.

Parkrun tomorrow as well isn't it so it might be up early and get on with it and stop being a wuss. Currently in bed with hot water bottle... 😬
12 Jan
4:10pm, 12 Jan 2024
54,928 posts
  •  
The fleecy and the ivy
I think day 6 was a bit taxing on anyone TBH. And no harm in swapping days if you're not feeling up to abs on one day. I started day 10 yesterday but it was really late so I stopped halfway through and just did what my body needed. Lots of upper back tension so I did cat cows and threading the needle. Then some twists and went straight to bed. Maybe I'll save the relaxing ones for when I'm not home till late.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bintmcskint
Who's in?

Adriene's 2024 30 day "yoga journey" is called Flow
Join us for the very best start to your yoga year :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.