Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

6 lurkers | 169 watchers
May 2020
5:31pm, 30 May 2020
21,066 posts
  •  
Meglet
Use a jersey needle if you have one (blunt end), and use a stretch stitch. If your machine doesn’t have one use a zig zag
Jun 2020
4:54pm, 1 Jun 2020
359 posts
  •  
Nickid
Lovely MM
Jun 2020
6:51pm, 1 Jun 2020
6,814 posts
  •  
Helegant
Reading back reminds me of the first machine I woned which was a hand-me-down Singer straight stitch that had been a treadle machine, set inside it's own table, and had been electrified. It had a wonderful foot that turned and stitched a rolled hem. There was a lovely clunky machine noise and it never ever went wrong. I now feel quite sentimental :-)
Jun 2020
7:40pm, 1 Jun 2020
16,341 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I inherited a lovely old treadle machine too, unfortunately, the cabinet it was in had the most awful woodworm and the whole thing had to go
Jun 2020
7:43pm, 1 Jun 2020
46,857 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Treadle machines are popular garden ornaments here.
Jun 2020
9:07pm, 1 Jun 2020
23,188 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Mum's one has that foot.
Jun 2020
11:15pm, 1 Jun 2020
30,140 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Thanks Meglet :-)
Jun 2020
11:13am, 3 Jun 2020
1,722 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
So .. some more advice please. Sewing boxes?? Who uses one? What’s useful for storage?

I have family asking for present ideas for my birthday in a couple of weeks. Already asked for scissors, big transparent rulers, cutting board and good pins. I’m not expecting to sew away from home... so something to store the bits and bobs and something for the fabric ??
Jun 2020
12:01pm, 3 Jun 2020
1,479 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
I bought myself a cheap plastic toolbox from a DIY shop years ago to keep my bits and pieces in.
Jun 2020
12:05pm, 3 Jun 2020
21,071 posts
  •  
Meglet
My cutting mat has arrived, along with a rotary cutter.

I really need to organise all my sewing stuff. I still have the sewing box I was given as a teen, but also some random tins containing buttons, various sundries like hooks/eyes, and a washing tablet box with all the presser feet and bits of elastic and spare bobbins. Not to mention the large plastic crate with fabric offcuts.

Then another box and several bags of sewing/knitting.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557