Garmin Status - what does Garmin say about you today?!

26 watchers
Feb 2023
3:47pm, 13 Feb 2023
28,798 posts
  •  
Ness
That fits in with my experience of it. So, basically, as my favourite race distance is half marathons, am I probably better sticking with schedules I've used before and ignoring the Garmin training suggestions?
Feb 2023
4:04pm, 13 Feb 2023
79,213 posts
  •  
Gobi
tipsku I'm missing high aerobic training for the 800 :-)
Feb 2023
4:05pm, 13 Feb 2023
40,393 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Gobi did I see a course record at Market Bosworth park run recently?
Feb 2023
4:06pm, 13 Feb 2023
2,405 posts
  •  
tipsku
Btw, I checked again what the Garmin beginners marathon plan has as the longest run, they go up to 180 and 200 minutes, so 3:00 and 3:20 hours. I think that's what my friend was looking at before her first marathon. I told her that with her goal time of 6 hours, she needed to go longer in training, 4 hours at least. I also said that she shouldn't try to run it all but have planned walk breaks - which the beginners plan also has, they split up their long run into e.g. 4x 5 min walk, 45 min run for 3:20 hours - or jeff it.

So I agree with the need to accumulate time on your feet but you have to be careful that it doesn't wreck you for days after. If you need to recover from your long run for 3 days and struggle in your next key session, it was too much or too hard.

I ran a 4 hour long run before my first marathon and I was wrecked for 5 days after, couldn't run at all (goal time 4:45-5:00, finished in 4:33). So I'm careful with suggesting long runs of continuous running over 3 hours. Personally, I have run 4-5 hour long runs for ultra events (6-10 hours) but that was with run/walk in the second half. After a rest day, I was good to go again and I was recovered for the next key session in the plan.

On the other hand, I have also run a 45.75 km virtual ultra during lockdown with my longest run being only 10 miles but I ran every day for 30-100 minutes in the weeks building up to it. So there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.
Feb 2023
4:09pm, 13 Feb 2023
2,406 posts
  •  
tipsku
Gobi, I can imagine. That's probably the reason why it gets your capability to race faster wrong. It thinks you lack aerobic endurance for that based on your training.
SPR
Feb 2023
4:40pm, 13 Feb 2023
39,553 posts
  •  
SPR
The predictor is mainly linked to VO2 Max and training load.

If you were a full time runner, I'm sure you'd do enough threshold to satisfy the watch Gobi.
Feb 2023
4:56pm, 13 Feb 2023
79,214 posts
  •  
Gobi
EvilPixie - yes V50 record and wava record

tipsku - as a coach I'm going to agree that it's all in the build but 2 x 10 does not as they say equal 20. The reason why so many runners over 3.30 fade so badly is due to lack of proper long runs. If you need 3 days to recover from a long run then the effort was wrong and the plan was shit. :-)
When 100km training my longest run was only 45 Miles. However my longest time on feet exercise was 7.5hrs in a run walk 40 miler supporting someone a lot slower than myself. My 100km pb was 8hrs.

SPR given the nature of how I train I think I'd be missing upper aerobic no matter what. I'm very in the make the hard , hard and the easy , easy :-)
SPR
Feb 2023
5:43pm, 13 Feb 2023
39,554 posts
  •  
SPR
Would have been interesting to see the numbers Gobi
Feb 2023
7:38pm, 13 Feb 2023
40,399 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Gosh
Just been told my recovery time has been improved by having a restful day!
Only 23 hrs now 🤣
Feb 2023
8:30pm, 13 Feb 2023
2,407 posts
  •  
tipsku
When I look at Garmin's recommended ranges, high aerobic has the biggest portion, followed by low aerobic and a little anaerobic on top. I get a picture like that (recommended range indicated by brackets)
Anaerobic: ____(.....)
High aero: __________________(..........)
Low aero: ______________(...........)

If you do polarised training with a huge low aerobic base and and a healthy dose of anaerobic on top and little in the middle, Garmin doesn't think your training is optimal because it's the total opposite of its recommendation.

I would rather do polarised or pyramidal training than the recommended distribution. Doing that much tempo and threshold running would probably wreck me and not allow me to build a decent aerobic base. For me, easy is always the biggest component of the three.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
According to my Garmin this morning my body battery was at just 41 and I was "strained"
I have been strained for most days in the last 2 weeks
My body battery has also been low

So today it suggested a threshold run of up to an hour!

What's your Garmin say?