•  
Badger
Oh and they do support HR during swimming dcrainmaker.com
15 Oct
7:53pm, 15 Oct 2024
4,505 posts
  •  
Bob!
Nellers wrote:Some advice please, folks. I've got a Forerunner 735XT that I've had since lockdown and it's fine and does all I "need" it to do really, and I've been very pleased with it. The battery life is starting to deteriorate a little bit though and so I'm looking at upgrading. I've just had a look and Amazon has a Fenix 6 for £279. Now I know we're up to a fenix 8 now so it's clearly not the bang-up-to-date latest thing but it's certainly a step up from what I'm wearing, right? Is the 6 a decent watch? And if so am I right that £279 is a good price?

I was going to get around to asking a similar question about an upgrade to my fr245 that is losing battery life rather quickly at the moment.

The 255 seemed to be where I was heading. I think the last few posts have confirmed that decision for me.
15 Oct
7:58pm, 15 Oct 2024
6,259 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Oops, well spotted Badger, apologies for slightly duff info on the mapping, had forgotten that it was initially only with the 6X, and just came in on the smaller versions with the Pro models
15 Oct
8:07pm, 15 Oct 2024
17,441 posts
  •  
Badger
So hard to keep track of all the different models! I mainly remember because I went for the 6x because I wanted the mapping.
15 Oct
8:24pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,994 posts
  •  
Nellers
Thanks guys. So I’m good for swimming hr but might not get the mapping, which would be useful but not a killer omission.

I do need it to be properly waterproof for the swimming @Flatlander , otherwise that would definitely be a worthwhile option.
15 Oct
8:35pm, 15 Oct 2024
17,443 posts
  •  
Badger
255 sounds quite good for you then.
garmin.com
255 doesn't have climbing (indoor or out) if that matters to you.
15 Oct
8:38pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,997 posts
  •  
Nellers
Honestly I'm running so little these days it's not going to be such a problem.

I'm mostly tracking gym training, swimming, cycling and hopefully some running, but also general activity and health tracking. The Garmin Pay thing looks helpful and if it's got a music option so I don't need to have my phone on me all the time even better.
15 Oct
9:36pm, 15 Oct 2024
17,618 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
By the way, before condemning your old watch, it’s worth trying a hard reset to see if that improves your battery life. Sometimes things just get messed up a bit and the watch needs a reset.

To reset just press and hold the top,left button under the screen fades and then power on again. You won’t lose any data doing this.
SPR
15 Oct
10:08pm, 15 Oct 2024
46,448 posts
  •  
SPR
255 has indoor climbing and bouldering, possibly via update as it also has basketball but didn't have that when I first got it.
15 Oct
10:23pm, 15 Oct 2024
1,282 posts
  •  
FunkyPOM
No mention of the Epix 2 here, that does HR when swimming and has great maps. Also a bit smaller/lighter than my Fenix 5 that it replaced. Not sure on pricing though?

Also, I've read great things about Garmin support in offering refurbs when old watches start to die, that'd be my first port of call @Nellers

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.