Garmin

214 watchers
15 Oct
12:58pm, 15 Oct 2024
23,137 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Sigh wrote:A Guardian article on the rise of sleep perfectionists: theguardian.com
Four paragraphs about a "functional medicine practitioner and health coach", which sounds a lot like "quack" to me. Really?
15 Oct
1:44pm, 15 Oct 2024
71,475 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
A functional medicine practitioner who booted his pregnant wife out of the bed because his gadget was picking up her moving in her sleep :-O Only in the Guardian.
15 Oct
4:48pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,987 posts
  •  
Nellers
Some advice please, folks.

I've got a Forerunner 735XT that I've had since lockdown and it's fine and does all I "need" it to do really, and I've been very pleased with it. The battery life is starting to deteriorate a little bit though and so I'm looking at upgrading.

I've just had a look and Amazon has a Fenix 6 for £279. Now I know we're up to a fenix 8 now so it's clearly not the bang-up-to-date latest thing but it's certainly a step up from what I'm wearing, right?

Is the 6 a decent watch? And if so am I right that £279 is a good price?
15 Oct
4:49pm, 15 Oct 2024
4,003 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I would go for a 7 pro.
I believe that is the most bang for the buck right now.
15 Oct
4:53pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,988 posts
  •  
Nellers
Maybe so, Bowman, but that's looking like £485 or so which is a bit of a step up in cost. What extras is that giving me beyond the 6?

I'm definitely shopping in the bargain bucket end of the market.
15 Oct
5:06pm, 15 Oct 2024
6,256 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
There's loads of youtube vids and online articles explainig the upgrades between various models.
Start with this versus.com explaining differences from 735 to F6, then you can check out F6 to F7 and from F7 to F8

Just a case of working through them and see what new features you want/need and whether the price of the watch they are on is one you are happy with.
15 Oct
5:11pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,989 posts
  •  
Nellers
Cheers Gus. That's perfect. My evening is now mapped out.
15 Oct
5:17pm, 15 Oct 2024
3,059 posts
  •  
AndyS
From memory, the main difference between the 6 and 7 is that the latter has a touchscreen and the newer HR/PulseOx sensor. Some of the 7 models also get multi-band GNSS support.

The 6 is a decent watch (I have the 5X - I prefer the 'X' because I find the bigger screen easier to read. I've generally been happy with it, although the barometer & temperature sensors gave out quite a while back. I can live without temp, but the barometer is annoying as I'd like to have elevation data)

Amazon usually have some good deals on Black Friday - I might be inclined to wait until then.
15 Oct
6:06pm, 15 Oct 2024
21,320 posts
  •  
flanker
57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote:Four paragraphs about a "functional medicine practitioner and health coach", which sounds a lot like "quack" to me. Really?

"quack" was the precise word I used this morning when talking about this. Followed by "soon-to-be-divorced quack"
15 Oct
6:19pm, 15 Oct 2024
21,321 posts
  •  
flanker
If it helps, the 6X is the first Fenix I've not found myself desperate to upgrade to the new shiny. There are a few things I'd like in the newer models (vaguely competent sleep tracking for a start) but they're nowhere near enough to justify the outlay.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.