Garmin

214 watchers
SPR
15 Oct
6:25pm, 15 Oct 2024
46,446 posts
  •  
SPR
I've not checked in any detail but I think the 255 is probably as good as the 735 these days (it is a full multisport watch) and getting current updates so that would sort like for like. I imagine the Fenix 6 would be fine for your purposes though and have some stuff better than the 255 for around the same price.
15 Oct
6:30pm, 15 Oct 2024
4,007 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Nellers wrote:Maybe so, Bowman, but that's looking like £485 or so which is a bit of a step up in cost. What extras is that giving me beyond the 6? I'm definitely shopping in the bargain bucket end of the market.

Yea sorry, i got a little carried away there:) but you got a few good links to look at, you will probably find your perfect watch there. Good luck!
SPR
15 Oct
6:34pm, 15 Oct 2024
46,447 posts
  •  
SPR
DCR's 255 review says this: The Forerunner 255 series essentially becomes a Forerunner 745, but with most of the newness of a Forerunner 955. Which is to say, there’s a boatload of new stuff here. Basically almost everything seen on the new Instinct 2 series a few months back, as well as piles of features launched on the Forerunner 945 LTE last summer and now newness launched at the same time on the Forerunner 955 series.

Black Friday is coming so there may be deals to be had as the 255 is a couple years of years old now.
15 Oct
7:21pm, 15 Oct 2024
25,825 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd go for a generation of watches that use the multiband GPS tech personally, which I think the 255 has but the F6 doesn't. But a) I might be wrong and b) not everyone cares quite so much about the gps accuracy!!
15 Oct
7:41pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,992 posts
  •  
Nellers
That 255 looks pretty good actually.

One thing that I don't get on the 735XT is HR when swimming in the pool. Is that something that came in on specific watches or was there a general upgrade to the sensors used across the range as a particular timepoint and everything after that covers it?
15 Oct
7:41pm, 15 Oct 2024
43,993 posts
  •  
Nellers
(It doesn't seem to be something that gets specified in the side-by-side comparisons that I've seen so far)
15 Oct
7:43pm, 15 Oct 2024
6,257 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
The biggest "running" update ( as opposed to smart watch feature ) going from the 7xx ( or 2xx ) series to any Fenix, is mapping. If you run trails a lot, or areas you don't know, then being able to load a GPX file of your run and get turn by turn navigation is brilliant. If this is not something you'd use then I'd agree with SPR and go with the 255.
The other thing to be aware of with the Fenix range is weight - they are generally quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the Forerunner models (unless you go for the 6s or 7s, ie small versions ). Something to consider if you wear 24/7
15 Oct
7:49pm, 15 Oct 2024
6,258 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Optical Heart Rate while swimming
support.garmin.com
15 Oct
7:51pm, 15 Oct 2024
3,350 posts
  •  
Flatlander
How about fitting a replacement battery? Costs about £15, a lot cheaper than a new watch.
Only downside, it would be difficult to make the watch completely waterproof afterwards, which is only a problem if you do watersports (you swim?) or a lot of outdoor activities in heavy rain.

I've twice replaced batteries in older Garmins and had no problem, extending the life of the Garmins by a few years.
15 Oct
7:51pm, 15 Oct 2024
17,439 posts
  •  
Badger
Agree with Gus - just to add to that, not all the Fenix 6 models had mapping; you would want a 6x (51mm, also the best battery life, which still stands up well against the 7 and 8 series), or for a smaller watch a 6 Pro or 6s Pro (progressively smaller screens and less good battery life). The non-pro have no maps, no music support, and less storage (which doesn't matter as they don't need space for maps or music files). I don't think the watch you saw at £280 has mapping.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.