Coronavirus **support** thread

2 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
4:19pm, 8 Jun 2020
34,918 posts
  •  
DocM
i think hugging doesnt work for me as im so short i end up at armpit height with a lot of men
Jun 2020
4:38pm, 8 Jun 2020
16,658 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I always feel uncomfortable hugging people, even within my own family but that probably says more about me.

Handshakes are just a sub conscious reaction when you first meet someone, or see someone you haven't seen for a while but some people I find don't like these either.
Jun 2020
4:41pm, 8 Jun 2020
47,029 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Same problem, Doc. I'll be quite pleased to have a good reason to headbutt the nose of anyone who thinks it's funny to lift me off the ground when they give me a hug :)
Jun 2020
4:48pm, 8 Jun 2020
10,349 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Developing a sore scratchy throat this afternoon this virus doesn’t half make you paranoid. Is this a symptom??
Jun 2020
5:26pm, 8 Jun 2020
34,921 posts
  •  
DocM
there are only 3 symptoms listed that suggest you get a test
new persistant cough
temperature

loss of smell/taste

other symptoms may be present but only relevant if accompanied by one of the three above
nhs.uk
Jun 2020
5:34pm, 8 Jun 2020
16,198 posts
  •  
Chrisull
DocM - "although some more risky behaviours were seen the fact that they were outdoor interactions means they were actually very low risk"

Yes, the Japan study seemed to indicate that the risk of infection indoors was almost 19 times that of outdoors and that in China out of 318 clusters studied in Jan and Feb, only one came from outside.

(I posted the source before, but here again: sciencemag.org )
Jun 2020
5:48pm, 8 Jun 2020
7,746 posts
  •  
CStar
I miss hugging people (though note not to try if I'm ever in the presence of HM Vrap :-) )

If we can get through VE Day, Bank Holiday and thousands of people protesting cheek by jowl without a large rise in infections, then surely it must be under control? 2 more weeks to find out I assume. Perhaps not the best way to 'test' lockdown release, but maybe with the unforeseen benefit of allowing it to proceed at a faster rate than might otherwise have been seen as prudent. ;-) (ever the optimist, me)
Jun 2020
5:52pm, 8 Jun 2020
34,922 posts
  •  
DocM
Thanks Chrisull and im happy to join your optomism Cstar
Jun 2020
6:14pm, 8 Jun 2020
2,370 posts
  •  
Canute
I agree with Chrisull and DocM that it is likely that outdoor events present only a low risk. If we get through the next two weeks without any spike in cases, I would support reducing the restrictions on outdoor events, while still avoiding hugging or hand shaking outside a limited bubble. We will still need great caution about indoor activities.
Jun 2020
6:20pm, 8 Jun 2020
15,632 posts
  •  
jennywren
I don’t like hugging anyway. A cheery wave is all anyone is getting from me from now on.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s