Coronavirus. Antibody testing. Priority post box.

1 watcher
May 2020
7:52pm, 24 May 2020
561 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Was discharged from psychiatric unit early to self isolate with suspected coronavirus at end of March( discharge was planned for 29th april). Had dry cough, croaky voice and totally lost taste and sense of smell for a few days. This was before loss of taste and smell were associated as symptoms of covid 19. Have done some research and the Abbott IgG covid 19 test seems reliable- mentioned in the British Medical Journal. There is a company selling the test- I think I will pay for this( around £65). I get test kit delivered and its a finger prick blood test. You return it in a specially tracked envelope in a "priority" post box- not at a normal post box and not at a post office. Phoned local post office and was told they had a priority box and was suitable for covid 19 antibody test samples. This is where I ran to to take a look. There is a red box on the back of the regular post box- but no slot to put an envelope in. Not sure how it works.......does anybody know? Does post office have some type of key to open it if needed. the sample is analysed within 24hrs and you get the results.
I know eventually testing will be widely available on the NHS- but at 1st it will be key workers and care home workers. I'd like to know if I've had it. When I was in hospital I was sat next to an elderly lady who was sweating profusely- beads on her forehead and who had a dry persistant cough. The ward due to confidentiality won't tell me if she had the coronavirus- but it was that evening when on leave at my flat i developed symptoms and 111 told me to self isolate in my flat for 7 days and avoid seeing my mum for another 14days. So hospital discharge was rather sudden and unplanned. Consultant realised admission hadn't been helpful and decided after self isolation that I was to be taken over by his outpatient team with access to the crisis team as required. Really if I have had the virus, it has done me good- as it got me out of hospital and back in the care of the out patient Professor and his CPN who I totally trust. It has allowed a v slow reintegration into society and no pressure to be "doing things". I do miss having tea though at my mum's house(she is 79yrs).
May 2020
12:21pm, 25 May 2020
4,028 posts
  •  
westmoors
Sorry, I'm unable to help. Hopefully someone will come along soon who can.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Was discharged from psychiatric unit early to self isolate with suspected coronavirus at end of Marc...