Coronavirus **support** thread

1 lurker | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
3:25pm, 8 Jun 2020
10,346 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Larkim for sure, also I suspect gyms will be also be hit as many people will continue to do what they’ve started doing from home while they are closed esp if people are working from home - my friend went to a gym next to where she worked. She’s taken up running and won’t be in the office anytime soon.
Jun 2020
3:29pm, 8 Jun 2020
17,654 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
gg the only thing i really need my gym for is the pool
jda
Jun 2020
3:37pm, 8 Jun 2020
7,563 posts
  •  
jda
The data are looking reasonably good at this point, which is surprising to me, but that's what the numbers say. Quite a steady drift downwards, even accounting for the weekend effect.

We don't all have to get the disease for it to go away, we just need to keep at the stage where people infect less than 1 other person on average. It's possible this can be achieved by a combination of cutting the most dramatically risky events (pubs etc) and also many of the most socially active already having had the disease, so the remaining at-risk population is mostly introverts with no social life...
Jun 2020
3:51pm, 8 Jun 2020
16,197 posts
  •  
Chrisull
As for getting back to fully normal... some scientists have been arguing for years, we are already too socially close to each other (this isn't an argument against hugging or intimate comtact), and flu already kills thousands each year, and we could mitigate the spread of normal flus and save lives with improved hygiene and being not quite so socially in each others' faces! I mean, I hate all the kisses on both cheeks kind of thing practiced in Europe and imported here.

Handshakes - did I hear in Contagion from feudal times, where you were showing you didn't carry a weapon in your right hand? Do we really need to? Office workers forced into small office spaces when they could work from home. Plus the climate change crisis requires us to commute less. I might want out of lockdown, but I certainly don't want a return to things like they were before.
Jun 2020
3:54pm, 8 Jun 2020
47,027 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'd be in favour of not shaking hands (offering handshakes to patients was a recommended practice that I declined to adopt) and of "meeting and greeting" hugs being more discriminating.
Jun 2020
3:58pm, 8 Jun 2020
17,656 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
don't mind a handshake in meeting a business person for 1st time (like the explanation Chris!) but hugs are for family only
Jun 2020
4:14pm, 8 Jun 2020
34,916 posts
  •  
DocM
i hope the fact that there is as yet no visible rise in numbers following VE etc is a reflection on the fact that although some more risky behaviours were seen the fact that they were outdoor interactions means they were actually very low risk, and maybe not as prevelant as the media portrayed
Jun 2020
4:14pm, 8 Jun 2020
34,917 posts
  •  
DocM
ive never liked handshaking/hugging/kissing. not things i would miss at all
Jun 2020
4:15pm, 8 Jun 2020
2,369 posts
  •  
Canute
HappyG,
If it is only 10% have had it so far, it seems to me there are several possibilities to consider:

1) we get it under control and then live a 'new normal' based on a minor degree of social distancing, limited travel and good hygiene, together with identification of new cases and isolation as required. R will be much less than one and the illness will become rare. There might be occasional outbreaks and it will be necessary control these. However the public health program required at that stage should be quite modest. We will face life somewhat similar to our grand-parents and great grand-parents generations, including an awareness of the need for good personal hygiene and an effective public health program. Maybe the virus will eventually become more benign.

2) we continue with half-hearted control measures and the epidemic meanders along destroying lives and damaging the economy. In my least optimistic moments, I fear that this is where the US is headed, and to a lesser extent, perhaps the UK, though recently UK is continuing to show a promising decrease in cases.

3) we simply let it rampage through the population eventually achieving herd immunity. That has quite rightly been rejected in the UK. It appears that Brazil is still on a path similar to this.

4) we get an effective vaccine.

It is possible that spread is largely due to super-spreaders who are very socially active. Once most of these super-spreaders have already had it, the population average value of R will be low, and we will achieve the first of the above outcomes fairly quickly.

The controversial proposal that an appreciable proportion of the population already have a ‘natural’ degree of immunity might also allow us to achieve control more easily, but that is very speculative.
Jun 2020
4:16pm, 8 Jun 2020
10,347 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I’m a hugger although only with people I feel comfortable with. Was so hard last night my friend Gary is very tactile so it’s always a hug and a kiss when we meet up, it just feels weird.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s