Coronavirus **support** thread

4 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
11:21pm, 5 Jun 2020
14,526 posts
  •  
Ultra Sparkly Bridget (USB)
I was a welcomer at our swabbing service today and yes it is a single swab. Throat first, then both nasal passages, not nostrils, thereby essentially swabbing top and bottom of the same area. We don't use laminated signs etc. As a welcomer I check name, give hand sanitiser and provide the swabbing pack with clear instructions what to do. They then drive into one of the lanes, park up, complete the form and do the swab. Staff are nearby in case support is needed. Then driving out they drop the completed swab pack into a bag. Occasionally we will assist with the actual swab process but despite wearing mask, gloves, apron, visor would prefer not to do this too often.
Jun 2020
11:42pm, 5 Jun 2020
41,027 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
We were only to do one nostril but I never read that bit and did both.
All laminate sheets of questions. We had to take our own hand sanitiser with us. We had no form to complete as you had to book online and print off your letter which had the scan code on it.. the only time our window was down was to get handed the pack and hand them and then hand them back
Jun 2020
5:51am, 6 Jun 2020
31,339 posts
  •  
halfpint
Similar experience to LG. Communication by laminated sign including being given a mobile number to call to be talked through steps. Window open so they can drop pack on lap and again to return it into a bucket. Someone on phone talking you through the swabbing. Both nostrils though.
Jun 2020
8:03am, 6 Jun 2020
621 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
I hope that you all return true negative tests, and get better quickly.

NZ is now on 15 days of no new cases (yay!), only one active case.

We're due an announcement on Monday, so I suspect that restrictions will drop further next week, though maybe not to level 1 in one step. We will see!
Jun 2020
8:04am, 6 Jun 2020
1,154 posts
  •  
Roberto
Guidance stated only one nostril to me. Could it be depending on where you are in the country and what lab capacity/facilities they have to account for the different advice?
CK2
Jun 2020
8:06am, 6 Jun 2020
406 posts
  •  
CK2
I hope those of you tested get good results Soon.
Interesting new guidance from WHO about masks - twitter.com
jda
Jun 2020
8:07am, 6 Jun 2020
7,540 posts
  •  
jda
I guess it depends whether they are down on their quota of tests for the day.
Jun 2020
8:11am, 6 Jun 2020
30,148 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
We both had ours done at the local hospital, all staff are invited, both nostrils were swabbed, not throat, we were both negative. Staff are also being offered antibody tests, going this afternoon.
Jun 2020
8:53am, 6 Jun 2020
15,625 posts
  •  
jennywren
Mine was done at a drive through centre and exactly the same experience as Lip Gloss. Hated the throat swab, made me gag.
Jun 2020
9:12am, 6 Jun 2020
6,328 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Is there anywhere you can go to get a swab if you don't have a car? If I ever have to get a test I'd really rather not do it myself - I would have little faith in me being able to do it correctly, so would not believe a negative result. Annoyingly there a very large drive in centre close by, but I don't know if they take walk-ins.

Purely academic question at the moment, but even if I don't have symptoms I've signed up for a few research programs so may get asked to have one via those.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s