Coronavirus **support** thread

1 lurker | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
12:18pm, 4 Jun 2020
2,504 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Going forward I think I’d probably try to do 3 days a week from home and2 in the office. Definitely miss the extended social interaction and the ease of collaboration. The team I’m in have agreed that when we do go back in it will only be worth it if we’re all in together (only 7 of us).

I do miss the office setup of nice chair, dual monitors, etc. I’ve just been looking at splashing out on improved wifi kit at home. We’re just about coping now, but have had Teams calls drop out. Will gradually aim to upgrade all home office kit, but space is an issue.
Jun 2020
12:21pm, 4 Jun 2020
16,610 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Pothunter....I had an old TV monitor that we havent used in years and found an HDMI cable so have been able to get dual screen up and running which has been a great boost for me. I couldnt have worked from the laptop alone
Jun 2020
12:25pm, 4 Jun 2020
2,506 posts
  •  
Pothunter
HDMI adapter - I knew there was something else I needed to order! Thanks Baz!
Jun 2020
12:31pm, 4 Jun 2020
1,146 posts
  •  
Roberto
I brought my monitor home so could dual screen. But I dont have office space and it ended up on the kitchen table. Then there is no escape from work as every time I'm in the kitchen, it's all there. I've since taken the monitor back to the office and just work from one screen again so I can tidy things up easier and switch off.
Jun 2020
12:33pm, 4 Jun 2020
11,201 posts
  •  
larkim
I managed to raid the office to bring home two 24in monitors so I've got a nice triple setup. Which, given I only have a single 20in screen at work normally, has been a revelation!!
Jun 2020
12:37pm, 4 Jun 2020
16,612 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
we were not allowed to take kit home, but I have seen photos of the revolving doors jammed with seats in them that people had tried to get out the building !

I do suspect though as we are now at home all year, there may be a programme of being allowed to go in and collect a chair and a monitor.
Jun 2020
12:49pm, 4 Jun 2020
46,916 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I had a chat yesterday with one of my colleagues who is WFH because she's shielding. She's hating it. I can sympathise. I could do some parts of my job from home, but I would be unable to do all the parts of the job that make it rewarding, and confidentiality and data protection would be a minefield.
Jun 2020
12:54pm, 4 Jun 2020
10,315 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I had a big argument with IT regarding a monitor and they have relented and said as long as you know you have to take it back when we are dual working we can have them. I will keep monitor wherever I am working from mostly (I suspect at home)

I am going to use a swissball as my chair so helping my postures there will be no slouching - I suspect SHE would have a thought about that one.

I look forward to getting my office set up so I can leave it behind every day and it be ready the next day.
Jun 2020
1:41pm, 4 Jun 2020
35,083 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Bazo, me too! My son's old TV with DVD player. HDMI from the laptop. Done!

My steps are down during lockdown. Combination of not walking to work from train station, and also missing running club or other sociable longer runs on weekend. And gym. :-) G
Jun 2020
1:48pm, 4 Jun 2020
17,619 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
My garmin daily step goal was getting lower and lower - on some days I would turbo so burning calories but do 1000-1500 steps!
So as a result I have set myself the goal of achieving my garmin step count goal for 30 days. I've done 10 so far and the only way I can do this is to make myself go for a walk or run every single day!
Goal slightly increases each day - today's goal is 7460 and I am on 6568 having used my lunchtime walking (very boring as I can't vary the route much! LOL)

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s