Coronavirus **support** thread

2 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
8:37am, 4 Jun 2020
11,198 posts
  •  
larkim
I can live with WFH temporarily, but no way would I be as productive if the household was empty of children and my wife. Everyone being here helps me focus in a way that I wouldn't if I was left to my own devices - though that probably says more about my work ethic than anthing else.
jda
Jun 2020
8:45am, 4 Jun 2020
7,531 posts
  •  
jda
It’s worth remembering that there’s a huge difference between being bounced into WFH at short notice in a completely unsuitable environment and doing it as part of a strategic plan. The homeschooling children thing is an additional massive burden for some, that won’t apply after they go back. What seems unsustainable now might become a lot more reasonable in time.

I’ve had a lot more social work contact in recent weeks compared to the previous few years. About to give another seminar, never been so busy :-)
Jun 2020
8:47am, 4 Jun 2020
21,230 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
I worked from home for many years; our company had a big push on it. We had an HR policy where anyone could apply to WFH and your manager had to justify why you couldn’t (and you could appeal) otherwise it went through.

I did go back to office life though, it worked for a while but not long term. The company went against it also, policy was ended and we were ‘encouraged’ to go back to office life (as contractual homeworkers they couldn’t force it, some are still holding out).

They’ll be a lot more WFH no doubt, which is a good thing.
Jun 2020
8:48am, 4 Jun 2020
16,603 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I really feel for those wfh with young children or children who need home schooling. That can’t be easy to also fit in work.

I know we are told to be flexible on working hours but that depends on the type of role and type of demands.

Not easy.
Jun 2020
8:49am, 4 Jun 2020
16,604 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Also reducing hours is spoken of as an option but the reduced income especially if a partner is furloughed or even redundant makes that tough.
Jun 2020
8:59am, 4 Jun 2020
4,460 posts
  •  
jennyh
SK, similarly, prior to this I would normally walk to work, sometimes take the train, so wasn’t driving to work anyway.

Baz - I’m also exercising less - not getting the walk to and from work (for the first 7 weeks or so of lockdown, in Wales we were only allowed out to exercise once a day so that didn’t help), in theory I could go for walks during the day, but like you have to have meetings, calls etc that make it difficult.

JDA - I get what you’re saying about it being different if there is a strategic plan for wfh, but I’m not sure that for people with limited space at home that it will make much difference.
um
Jun 2020
9:45am, 4 Jun 2020
2,594 posts
  •  
um
I worked from home since the company relocated in 1995, and I didn't. As others said it typically resulted in longer hours - as a WW role, earlier starts with calls to Singapore/Japan/Aus, and later finishes with US. But - with a company vetted dedicated location at home, to start with (pre broadband) 2 phone lines (one home, one work).
And lots of business travel - both as part of whatever project/change management I was on, and to establish relationships to allow WFH to be effective.

But I was lucky - it was pre-video calls, we only had voice and screen sharing.

Class? Not really, but social culture was apparent. I had a dedicated 'home office', others often had a lot higher living density and 3 generations in the same apartment. I was teased about google street views of my house - apparently it looks just like the 'Harry Potter' estate in Little Whinging in the films. ie suburban/rural English. My boss (in Scotland) got worse - his was described as a 'hobbit house' by our US colleagues (well, my team, so 2nd manager up to them),

But many jobs will be able to be wfh - if people's housing and culture allow it. I think nearly all UK 'call centres' I have used recently have been wfh - RAC, BA, Garmin

But not garden centre on line (well, phone) shopping - that is to a person walking round their store/nursery/greenhouse describing what they have while I decide if I want to buy.

Lots of employment changes to come.
Jun 2020
10:14am, 4 Jun 2020
10,314 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I am a happy home worker, normally. I have struggled like mad these last couple of months. I am getting back into it now but still lots of things I cant do as well.

I miss my colleagues, miss the banter and the saying stuff out loud that helps put it in to perspective or solves a problem.

I don't miss the commute (even though it was only 4miles) as I would tend to be in early, my colleagues came in late so stayed late and I always felt conscious leaving 'early' so I would do extra work at beginning and end of the day mostly just to be seen not to look like I was sloping off.

That said WFH I start early and finish late, but I do have some breaks through the day to do a few little jobs - dishwasher/washer on or put it out and occasionally I will do a lunchtime run. But in the office going to make a brew will take 20min+ by time you've stopped for a natter somewhere. I still mostly get more done from home than at work.

I don't want to never go in the office again, I am actually sad to think we will lose that social connection. Its my colleagues birthday tomorrow normally there would be cards, gifts and cake - cant even send a card as I don't have her address.

For many not having access to the outside world of work can cause huge problems to their mental health, I worry about people living in a difficult home life where the hours at work were escape for them. Many people will not cope well with the solo isolation. My husband is struggling but his manager and team have daily calls - my line manager has barely spoken to any of us, not from ignorance but she is so busy she hasn't the time.

I am glad to see the business is looking at what it needs to do to provide support across the board and maybe prioritise office working for those who need it rather than only when the business needs it.

I worry about peoples physical health, as Jennyh mentioned the risk to people having longer term back, neck, shoulder problems due to working from inadequate seating areas is a huge concern. I look after Personal Injury claims at work (among other things) and I know the hearing loss claims from the years of not providing people with adequate hearing protection - how does a business manage home working where lets face it the businesses cannot afford to kit everyone out with fully equipped office furniture, many people wont have the space and how do we monitor it? Currently we do regular and spot DSE assessments. I am currently sat on the sofa, laptop on my knee, legs often curled under me and looking down at a crazy angle to see the screen. Far from healthy. I am doing more yoga to try to compensate.

I also don't think it is ideal having people sat in different rooms working, but a lot of what I do is confidential and sharing a room with hubby wouldn't be 'safe' from this perspective. A lot of our work is done under licence where access is restricted - its certainly not to be shared with family members. How do we manage this. Huge changes and implications.

I love WFH but I don't want to do it permanently. I am actually grieving for what we have lost in our work and personal lives. I have to keep focusing on this is temporary and hope I'm right.

I certainly don't see it as a social standing, and many will see it as a disadvantage for the reasons listed above. Also just because I can wfh doesn't make me better far from it, I am easily replaceable whereas our operators are highly skilled men and women and their job is not as easily replaced yet they cannot work from home.
Jun 2020
10:29am, 4 Jun 2020
9,770 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I am happy working from home - work was rather unpleasant and toxic before the lockdown so this has been a positive for me. I do go to the office once a week but when no one else is in. I really hope that I can carry on like this until next May when I plan on retiring, or at the most work 2 days in the office and 2 days at home.

I can imagine it must be a nightmare to be working from home with children to school or entertain
Jun 2020
10:31am, 4 Jun 2020
7,392 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I made the office monkey comment speaking as one myself, it’s what my mates who work on the tools call me!

Personally I need 3 screens to do my job to a performance level I would be happy with, and would really need a separate room as total confidentiality required as dealing with personal data.

And where would a partner or lodger have worked in a 2 up 2 down cottage with all rooms 3x3m?

Perhaps I’d take a different view to wfh if I had a 5 bedroom detached house with a separate office but few people are that privileged. I’d be using one laptop screen on a kitchen table and simply couldn’t work at the same efficiency or quality.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s