Coronavirus **support** thread

5 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
3:08pm, 4 Jun 2020
2,650 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Yes, politics thread I think Happy. As has been discussed on here before there are quite a lot of people who would struggle with face masks for various reasons. Making them compulsory will potentially discriminate against and isolate some of the vulnerable members of society.

I know it's difficult DQ but try to park it. I tell myself not to worry about the things I can't change and not to yell until I'm kicked - though they are easier to say than do I find that keeping them in mind as anxiety rises does help.

Someone said to me the other day that there are 8 million people currently furloughed, 2 million of whom don't know that they are redundant yet. Difficult days ahead for many.
Jun 2020
3:09pm, 4 Jun 2020
10,317 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
DQ very sorry to hear this, I am concerned the same may happen to my husband's company. He is furloughed as of tomorrow for 3 weeks with another stint in August/September. They are losing contracts some may come back when things settle but others are decidedly ropey.

I keep everything crossed for you and hope it doesn't come to redundancies for you and your colleagues.

RF my running club keep setting challenges too, we have had a negative split challenge, an elevation one, they keep doing interval sessions for us. It has been great and I feel so much part of the club despite not seeing them. We also have weekly bingo and a quiz. Its been lovely.
Jun 2020
3:14pm, 4 Jun 2020
7,393 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Unfortunately there are likely to be more redundancies announced soon given Employers have to contribute from August 1, and 45 days consultation is generally required.
Jun 2020
3:19pm, 4 Jun 2020
17,620 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
hubby and I are very lucky in this instance given our job roles
Jun 2020
3:42pm, 4 Jun 2020
37,462 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sorry DQ
Jun 2020
3:44pm, 4 Jun 2020
2,360 posts
  •  
Canute
Happy G, I agree with you. I personally am at risk of severe illness if I become infected. I am fortunate that the only place I face appreciable risk is in the local village shop. For my own well being I would be more comfortable if more people made an effort to wear a mask in the shop. We only enter one at a time so the risk for customers is fairly low. It is mainly from fomites. My greatest concern is for the middle aged post-master/shop keeper who is breathes air laden with small droplets exhaled by villagers throughout the day.
Jun 2020
4:23pm, 4 Jun 2020
2,594 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Each of us has a different view on face masks.

I personally see little point in legislating for their use, as I can't see the Scottish police having the resources to enforce such a provision.

Maybe better to try and persuade shops to only allow masked shoppers into stores, etc.
Jun 2020
4:24pm, 4 Jun 2020
539 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
Sorry to hear that DQ … redundancy can be a shock to the system. Don't take it personally - it's simply a 'numbers game' and no reflection on your capabilities.

(However, unless you were planning on working past your normal retirement age it may work in your favour with Redundancy & Notice pay! Try to look on the bright side.)
Jun 2020
17,621 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
same could be said for any country world wide Tim but putting it in law may make more people think about using them
Jun 2020
11,206 posts
  •  
larkim
The police don't have the resources to enforce 30mph speed limits, but that doesn't mean they should be "guidance" rather than legislation.

If it's important, it needs legislating. If it's not important but useful, then guidance.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s