•  
halfpint
Meringues???
Dec 2012
6:47pm, 28 Dec 2012
3,546 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Nice work runnyeyes - unfortunately I don't have a recipe for pavlova, but I too have some eggwhites in the freezer - I used 1 for the topping on the second one I did, so there's 11.
Dec 2012
6:52pm, 28 Dec 2012
1,082 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Nigella did a cappuccino pavlova using instant espresso powder. That looked interesting( and easy) but I will prob stick to fruit. I love the sharpness of passion fruit with the sweet meringue.
Dec 2012
11:12pm, 28 Dec 2012
2,571 posts
  •  
SherryB
I used Mary Berry's Christmas Yule Log recipe with 50% chocolate for the ganache - oh it was divine!
Dec 2012
7:39am, 29 Dec 2012
8,157 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
I made a banana nut bread and pumpkin bread for christmas....and some cookies we call spiced honey cookies. Then I made some chocolate candy my family calls "bark candy" with peanuts, broken pretzel pieces and rie krispies in melted chocolate then let to harden. YUM!
Dec 2012
7:40am, 29 Dec 2012
8,158 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
that should be "rice krispies"
Dec 2012
7:23pm, 29 Dec 2012
1,083 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Interesting...having pretzel in with the mix.

And how did you do pumpkin bread? Was it tinned pumpkin?
Dec 2012
7:39pm, 29 Dec 2012
2,278 posts
  •  
llittledonkeydaisy
OH was given Paul Hollywood's How to Bake for Christmas, and has twice tried his croissants recipe. The flavour is ok, but the croissants were too greasy (both times), didn't puff up at all the first time and the second time, the texture was lighter but not remotely flaky. He says he followed the recipe to the letter both times. Does anyone have any good tips which might help? Has anyone done any of his other recipes and have they worked? In fairness to OH, he's a pretty experienced and good baker - his pizza dough is better than any I've ever tasted.
Dec 2012
8:20pm, 29 Dec 2012
3,548 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Hi LittleDonkeyDaisy - I don't have that book but I've got close to croissants a couple of times with Dan Lepards flaky butter buns. Anything to do with flaky pastry/dough generally invoves a lot of faffage, chilling, rolling, turning and resting to make the layers nice. I must admit PH isn't my favourite home baker as he tries to bring commercial recipes to the home baker and make things rather too industrial and hard work for my taste in terms of effort.

I follow this blog breadandbikes.wordpress.com and he's made some nice looking croissants, maybe OH could compare notes?
Dec 2012
9:16pm, 29 Dec 2012
2,279 posts
  •  
llittledonkeydaisy
Thanks icemaiden! OH had a look at that blog post. he thinks it's the chilling and resting is the critical point - I hope he gets it right soon because I will be like the side of a house eating all his failed attempts :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555