Transgender Athletes

2 lurkers | 97 watchers
Aug 2019
10:54am, 16 Aug 2019
6,528 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
jda - Perhaps because having two legs is still more preferable in running events than one!
jda
Aug 2019
10:58am, 16 Aug 2019
4,955 posts
  •  
jda
I would like to say that I feel a bit uncomfortable bringing up OP in this thread as he's so obviously a violent misogynist who belongs behind bars. But the legs/bladed are the thing (and there are other paralympic athletes with nearly-comparable performance IIRC).
Aug 2019
11:00am, 16 Aug 2019
6,529 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
jda - I think we need to get back to transgender athletes in sports. Para Olympics is a whole other thread.
jda
Aug 2019
11:06am, 16 Aug 2019
4,956 posts
  •  
jda
Well, maybe, but any talk of women's sport necessarily involves a discussion of what a woman is for the purposes of sport and although you've been very reluctant to talk about cases such as Caster Semenya there are some who argue that she's not enough of a woman at least unless she actually undergoes medical treatment (and perhaps not even then?)
Aug 2019
11:06am, 16 Aug 2019
42,782 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I recall a great deal of uproar at the time Oscar Pistorius was permitted to race on his blades alongside men with legs, long before we knew he was a bad'un.
Aug 2019
11:07am, 16 Aug 2019
6,530 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Again, Caster Semenya is not a transgender athlete which is what this thread is about.
Aug 2019
11:18am, 16 Aug 2019
1,250 posts
  •  
bonners
Re the OP thing, I was always of the opinion that he shouldn't have been able to run with able bodied athletes, my understanding of the IAAF testing he went under proved that his blades gave him an unfair advantage. At the time I have to admit to musing on whether an athlete would actually go so far as to have an amputation if it would improve their chances.

Anyway, back on topic.
Aug 2019
11:21am, 16 Aug 2019
6,531 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
If we are wanting to define what a woman is perhaps someone could clarify what their definition is based on - how is a woman defined - is it biology or an other basis ie becaiuse they "feel" like one, because they have had surgery of some other definition. I'll just post this link again so maybe someone could confirm which of these definitions they want to go with?https://medium.com/@s.r.allen/if-transwomen-are-women-what-is-a-woman-d36121bdd926

Interestingly I don't recall any women commenting to men at the time of OP issues that they should just shut up and accept that having blades offered no physical advantage over men with two legs because OP said they didn't?
Aug 2019
11:22am, 16 Aug 2019
6 posts
  •  
Gee-Rizzle
According to my understanding Caster Semenya is a highly comparable example. In exactly the same way as a transwoman:

She is a woman.

She has naturally elevated testosterone.

She is believed to have gone through a “male” puberty.

She has to have hormone suppressing treatment to compete

In terms of elite sport the only practical difference is that caster semenya has identified as a woman since birth whereas a transwoman will not have.
Aug 2019
11:24am, 16 Aug 2019
6,532 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I really don't want to get into OP issues but he was required to have tests to prove that he didn't have an advantage of those born male and with tow legs and no blades but woman are somehow alarmist or worse to request that research is done to see whether male born athletes have an advantage over women?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...