Transgender Athletes

97 watchers
Aug 2019
3:59pm, 12 Aug 2019
6,435 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I'm not compelling anyone to recognise my achievements - after all it's only sport. However, neither am I prepared to stay silent when those with an unfair advantage want to appropriate my gender category.

If you read back you will see I am more than acceptiing of others choices and them doing what makes them happy until such time as their desire to be accepted makes thinks unfair for the other 99% of females.
Aug 2019
4:15pm, 12 Aug 2019
13,602 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I think it would be less than 99% that are the perfect female. If you tested everyone I suspect there would be more range than we would care to admit. But I do think this isn’t about “everyone” trying to take your hard earned medals Jovi. Many of those on the borderline will be no threat to you. If you would be prepared to cheat to get a parkrun win you could just take drugs it’s not like anyone is tested. Not to give anyone ideas :-o I am not trying to shut you down as I can see how important this is to you - but please be aware I am as alarmed at the thought of having to prove my womanhood as you are at having your place jeopardised.
Aug 2019
4:20pm, 12 Aug 2019
6,436 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
FTERF - really. Here ends any further comments by me on this thread. As o understand it TERF is regarded as hate speech in Twitter.
Aug 2019
4:22pm, 12 Aug 2019
22,541 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Can I reiterate the call for respectful disagreement please? I've no problem at all with differing viewpoints, nor with strong words, and I know this is a difficult subject. But can we please all refrain from questioning the character of others in the discussion. Thank you.
Aug 2019
4:24pm, 12 Aug 2019
28,899 posts
  •  
LindsD
Seconded. This is making me very sad.
Aug 2019
4:30pm, 12 Aug 2019
28,667 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Maybe it was a mistake in requesting a thread, my motive was to be able to better understand. :-(
Aug 2019
4:34pm, 12 Aug 2019
3,512 posts
  •  
FreshStart
MrsJigs I have learnt a lot from this thread so thank-you for requesting it.
Aug 2019
4:38pm, 12 Aug 2019
28,901 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes, me too.
Aug 2019
4:41pm, 12 Aug 2019
22,542 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I don't believe it was a mistake Mrs J. Many posters have been very grateful for the insights provided by TR and Vixx. And the complexity of the situation has begun to be illustrated. I think there's plenty of common ground here. From my point of view, I can see the following consensuses (consensii?):

*We all want trans athletes to be able to compete fairly, if they want to be competitive.
*We all sympathise with the difficulty this places on those born female, when competing against those who have transitioned.
*I think we all recognise that labelling/categorising is in itself a difficult topic. We all define our identity in different ways, and having a label applied *to* you is not always comfortable.
Aug 2019
4:41pm, 12 Aug 2019
713 posts
  •  
Vixx
It's making me sad too :(

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This thread is prompted by a discussion on the parkrun thread, after the ladies record at a parkrun ...