RW Mature Runners

4 lurkers | 12 watchers
1 Oct
3:15pm, 1 Oct 2024
49 posts
  •  
Aquarius
HS I meant to say I noticed you said your daughter had enrolled for the C25k, does this mean she will run as part of an organised group? The first time Steve did it (many years ago) he just printed off the instructions and followed them himself, I don't remember any option to enrol for a particular start date. Although a bit of self discipline is needed if doing it on your own it gives you a bit more flexibility about when you run, which running in a group would limit.
1 Oct
4:27pm, 1 Oct 2024
16,045 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, good luck with this evenings 5k.

Yes, it's an organised group, with fixed start dates. My own club also runs C25k training for the beginners. The one my daughter is joining meets Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. She has never run before, so will be an absolute beginner. I'm hoping that providing she completes the course, she will start doing parkruns. There is one that is held fairly close to wear she lives.
1 Oct
10:50pm, 1 Oct 2024
336 posts
  •  
OO61
Aquarius my wife was marshaling the GP tonight, said it was wild. I think she got offered the jab because of her cancer last year.

Swim and run today. I hate tapers...
2 Oct
12:31pm, 2 Oct 2024
2,749 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Aquarius - yes, a bunch of blokes or a bunch of ladies .. difficult to choose ;) Seriously though, the pub singers group of men want £6 per evening (not including drinks presumably) and that's more than I would want to pay. Just some light drizzle for the coffee & chat walk so no problem there. You do exactly what I figured - I can wear the all black trainers with 'smart' trousers and nobody is likely to be any the wiser. Sounds like a short delay then before you can get your covid jab. Sounds like you need a dry-robe to wear after the race to warm you up and to change under.

HS - Margaret makes her xmas puddings early then 'feeds' them with brandy for a few months :) Well done re the 7.65ml run with Mike and reaching 100mls for the month. I wonder if your daughter uses the gym at the Holiday Inn where I stay?

OO61 - as mentioned above, provided the ladies group doesn't charge more and isn't too far away, that's probably the one I'll go for. I know tapering will be frustrating but needs must .. anyway, good luck with Sunday's race.

No lunch today because we're off out later for afternoon tea with my friend Alan and his partner Diana. I've obviously not seen him for ages, but I'll try and keep off the subject of golf to avoid boring the pants off Margaret & Diana. No doubt my feet will come up in conversation.

I've just re-arranged my desk in the study to give me more room and more storage. I've only just done it but so far, so good and I 'think' it's an improvement. Always a bit of an experiment I find, to get the correct setup.
3 Oct
2:40pm, 3 Oct 2024
16,059 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, it seems to be traditional feeding Christmas Puddings with brandy over a number of months.

Thanks, I had to run the extra 0.65 mile to round it up to 100.

I'll ask my daughter where she swims.

I was thinking that it was a long time since your last golf match with Alan.

Good luck with your rearranged study. You will probably find that you can't find things.

I ran a solo 15k yesterday in the forest, including 5 hill reps half way through. This morning was a solo 7k on roads.
4 Oct
9:35am, 4 Oct 2024
16,064 posts
  •  
hillstrider
The usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning.
4 Oct
6:15pm, 4 Oct 2024
2,751 posts
  •  
WtnMel
The re-arranged study seems to be working out okay - a couple of minor tweaks but all good so far. I forgot to mention I had a three-tray setup on the desk (the old in/pending/out idea) and sorted through that and I've been able to replace it with just one 'in tray'. Primarily because needless to say, the majority of what was in the trays was either no longer needed or should have been put somewhere else. One rather good 'find' was a travel wallet with 600 euros in cash and 100 euros travellers cheques, sitting around gathering dust.

I went to the golf club this morning to see about some new golf shoes I have my eye on that may be suitable for my feet. I need to wait and see if the supplier does a deliver & return scheme as I don't want to buy them sight unseen and obviously need to try them on first.

After I'd been to the golf club I exchanged the euros at the travel centre at our local Tesco, then drove into town and paid the resulting cash in to the bank. Then a quick trip to Halfords to get some faraday wallets (they are used to stop thieves scanning your electronic car key).

When I got home, I discovered you can redeem American Express travellers cheques online, so have submitted my claim request and will wait and see what response I get (I may need to submit id?).

I cut the lawns this afternoon while it was dry enough - I doubt that will be the last time this year, but I don't imagine they will need doing many more times.
5 Oct
11:24am, 5 Oct 2024
16,070 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Had my Covid and flu jabs this morning.
5 Oct
1:06pm, 5 Oct 2024
343 posts
  •  
OO61
Wtnmel I did the grass too. Was amazed how dry the ground was.
Peel parkrun today nice and gentle. Chester marathon tomorrow
5 Oct
1:32pm, 5 Oct 2024
16,072 posts
  •  
hillstrider
0061, good luck with the Chester Marathon tomorrow.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..