RW Mature Runners

2 lurkers | 12 watchers
6 Oct
2:20pm, 6 Oct 2024
16,083 posts
  •  
hillstrider
I walked to the supermarket this morning for a newspaper and a book of stamps.
7 Oct
10:44am, 7 Oct 2024
50 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 I hope your marathon went well.

Tuesday's GP was pretty blustery, okay on the out leg but difficult running into headwind on return. I don't know if you saw my comments on Facebook but the new finish was pretty hairy. Now there is a wider finishing line (no funnels) the stampede was worse than ever with bumping and barging due to people going for non-existent gaps. Apparently 83% of the runners (176 if my maths is correct) including me, crossed the finish line within a 2 minute period. Great result for the handicapping system, but scary if you are in amongst it all. I'm hoping next month I'll miss the masses and come in either just ahead or, more likely, just behind them.

WtnMel Great result finding those euros and travellers cheques! Well done for tackling the reorganisation of your "office area". I hope you find some golf shoes that will be suitable, will you have many more opportunities this year to play golf? I hope you all had a nice time when you and Margaret had afternoon tea with Alan and Diana. I agree that the ladies singing group seems to be the better option as the men's one will be rather an expensive hobby.

HS Good to get that Covid jab done, any side effects? As I was having problems getting ours booked I decided to go to a walk in centre. When I first checked online the nearest one was half an hour's drive away, but the following day when I checked there was a pharmacy nearby that popped up on the list, so Steve and I went there on Friday. I have my second Shingles vaccination on Wednesday, then our flu jabs are booked for two weeks after.
What is that structure in the first of the photos you posted on Thursday? I like the second photo, very picturesque :)

We were at the coast again on Thursday, Steve for a friend's funeral, me for a check up at the dentist. While Steve was at the funeral I went for a 7 mile run, but hadn't anticipated how unseasonably hot it would be. I tried to run in shade where I could but still found my head was burning when in the sun. It ended up being a rather slow plod, and I was glad to get back to the swimming pool (where I'd left my clothes and set out from) to have a refreshing shower. Parkrun on Saturday, then another Garmin training workout on Sunday morning. I'm not sure what went wrong on Sunday but Garmin showed one of my mile efforts as zero. I didn't touch the watch at all so I'm sure it wasn't anything I did, I'll keep an eye on tomorrow's workout to see if that gets recorded properly. It reminded me of one of the earlier sessions I did on this plan which I thought I'd messed up myself, but now I'm wondering if that was the case.
7 Oct
12:49pm, 7 Oct 2024
2,756 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - I have my covid & flu jabs on Wed morning. Margaret had hers done and has had sore arms for a few days, so I'm expecting I'll get similar after-effects. I see you got some stamps yesterday - if 1st class, then just before the price goes up. I checked in my wallet but I still have plenty, so no need for me to rush off and get some more.

OO61 - hope the marathon went well.

Aquarius - sounds like you need to sharpen those elbows of yours, to keep your position in the scramble for places at the finish line of the GP races ;) I had an email from the guy at the golf club - there are supply problems with the ones on offer but I've told him what I'm looking for and have found some other Footjoy shoes I think will suit. I've emailed him with my suggestion and am awaiting a reply to see if he thinks they may suit. He confirmed they can do shoes on a sale or return basis, so no obligation for me to buy. I don't know how much more golf Alan and I will manage (and also games with Dave & Brian from u3a) but in previous years I've played in the Winter as long as it has stayed dry. We enjoyed our afternoon tea and a chance to catch up with Alan & Diana. Well done re that 7ml run - sounds like that shower afterwards was very welcome given the unseasonable warmth. I remember doing a 10k one Summer, and someone was stood outside their house, spraying us all with their garden hose. Oh dear - sounds like your Garmin is playing up yet again :(

I'm waiting for a message from Margaret - I took her to Tetbury yesterday for a concert at the music festival. She's making her way back today via buses but I said if she wants me to collect her from town, to let me know.

I've heard from the community choir that they'll refund my membership. Just waiting for the money to pop into my bank account. Am also waiting for the money from the traveller's cheques to turn up (have been told my refund has been approved).
7 Oct
5:14pm, 7 Oct 2024
16,095 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, your Tuesdays handicap race seemed to work out well, perhaps too well, with so many bumping and barging to the finish line. It sounded a bit scary to me!

Yes, I'm glad that I didn't change the date for my double jabs, as I wanted them done and dusted! I didn't really have any side effects, except for a slight ache in each arm, but decided not to run yesterday, just in case😉

That was fortunate that there was a local chemist giving covid jabs, so that you and Steve were able to have them. I haven't received an appointment yet for a shingles jab, but have had an e mail from the NHS advising that the surgery would be in touch in due course. I see that you and Steve have your flu jabs booked 2 weeks from Wednesday.

We are not sure what that structure is in the first photo, but that it might have been a well. The second picture was taken in The Marina. I only take photos when I'm running solo.

It sounds like you have been having a busy week, with a dental check up, 7 mile run, a shower at the swimming pool, parkrun Saturday and garmin training Sunday morning! Garmins can be very temperamental!

WtnMel, good luck with your covid and flu jabs on Wednesday. I'm sorry that Margaret had sore arms for several days after.

It was a book of second class stamps that I bought. I knew that they were not going up in price, but thought I'd buy some anyway.

I hope that you will eventually find a pair of shoes that are suitable. I also hope that you will be able to manage more golf matches before the weather gets too bad. Are you still on standby, awaiting a call from Margaret to advise whether she needs a lift back from town?

Good news that you will be getting a refund from the community choir and travellers Cheques.

I didn't run yesterday, although I wasn't feeling any after effects from the jabs, except for slight aches. I thought, better safe than sorry. I ran 6.57 miles on roads this morning with Sarah F. It was a bit quicker than I wanted, but she is flying off to Spain tomorrow to see her mum, so she wanted to run at a good pace. She will be away for 1.5 weeks.
10:36am
10:36am, 8 Oct 2024
16,099 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Just the usual Tuesday Farmers Walk this morning. I got drenched on the way back as I wasn't wearing a coat. It wasn't raining when I set off.
11:23am
11:23am, 8 Oct 2024
2,757 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Hillstrider - I see you decided not to run yesterday after your jabs, but ran this morning instead. Were you following Sarah F all the way round if she was running at a good pace? - or did you manage to keep alongside her? I got a message from Margaret to let me know she would be arriving back in Cheltenham at 3pm .. closely followed by another saying the bus was delayed and it would be 3:30pm. She was glad of the lift as she was tired out - she collapsed on the sofa when we got back and I cooked dinner. It's the u3a 'showcase' meeting this afternoon and we've been warned the lift is out of action - so as well as getting there early to help set up the tables and chairs, I imagine I'll be lending a helping hand aka. arm to those with limited mobility, needing a hand to get up the stairs. An interesting story on BBC Breakfast this morning - a small boat, that set sail from some schoolchildren in the USA, was washed up on Mudeford Beach (may have been featured in the local press?). It will be set sail again by some local rowers who will be crossing the Atlantic. Nobody will know where the boat will end up but it can be tracked via the website www.educationalpassages.org
1:19pm
1:19pm, 8 Oct 2024
51 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel I've just sent you a link (on Garmin) to a Facebook post about joining an online choir (Opera North) don't know if this is something you may be interested in?
Poor Margaret, sounds like her visit to the music festival has tired her out, probably all the travelling didn't help. Hopefully she enjoyed it though? Good that the community choir gave you a refund of your membership fee. Enjoy your u3a meeting this afternoon (why a "showcase" one?) I see you think you'll be helping the less mobile members up the stairs, good job someone is willing to help out. Interesting about that small boat, and surprising that it's still in one piece after it's journey.

HS Thanks for the explanation of the photos. I see Sarah set a quick pace for your run yesterday, although you felt it was quicker than you wanted I bet you kept up with her! At any rate it's all good training, and shows you've no ill effects from the Covid jab. Sorry to hear you got drenched this morning on your Farmers Walk, the weather here is dreadful too.

We went over to the reservoir this morning - thick fog which gave way to heavy rain. Steve ran his 3 miles before the rain got too heavy. Half way through my 6 miles the heavy rain arrived. I had to strip off when I got back to the car as I was soaked to the skin. Fortunately I'd taken spare clothes to change into, as had Steve. I'm off to see the pharmacist shortly because I've got some very itchy lumps on my face and head. If it had been warmer weather I'd have put it down to midge bites, but as I've got my Shingles vaccination tomorrow I want to check that it's not a side effect of the Covid jab, in case it's advisable to postpone the Shingles one for a day or two.
3:04pm
3:04pm, 8 Oct 2024
16,102 posts
  •  
hillstrider
WtnMel, I kept up with Sarah most of the time, but now and again, she upped the pace a bit meaning I had to up mine too. It worked out well.

It was good that you were able to pick Margaret up from town, especially as she was tired out.

I hope that the u3a meeting goes well this afternoon, and that you don't strain your back helping the less mobile up the stairs.

Aquarius, I did keep up with Sarah most of the time, as I mentioned to Mel, but I think that she was testing me, as she tried to pull away at times.

It was my own fault that I got soaked this morning, as it was raining hard earlier. It had brightened up when I left home, and restarted just as I left the supermarket.

I see that you and Steve also got soaked, but you more so. Lucky that you both had a change of clothes in the car.

I'm sorry to hear about the itchy lumps on your face and head. It is possible that it could be a side effect from the Covid jab. That's a very good idea to see the pharmacist and get it checked out.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..