RW Mature Runners

2 lurkers | 12 watchers
28 Sep
4:48pm, 28 Sep 2024
16,020 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, thanks, I think that it is just a niggle and is feeling easier today.

I'm sorry to hear that you now have a sore lower back. It was probably caused by overstretching, and I think mine was possibly the same.

It's a pity that you were unable to do the first XC of the season, but better safe than sorry. I feel exactly the same about having to give the parkrun a miss. We were doing the Portsmouth Lakeside which I particularly wanted to do, as I worked nearby for several years. Sarah F and Mike ran it and both did well. I won't be able to do next weeks either, as I have my Covid and flu jabs Saturday morning.

I walked briskly to the supermarket and back to buy a couple of newspapers and my back was ok. I'll try an easy jog tomorrow morning.
29 Sep
11:01am, 29 Sep 2024
45 posts
  •  
Aquarius
HS Good to hear your back was feeling easier last night, I hope your jog today goes well and your back doesn't object. It's frustrating when you're looking forward to an event and have to give it a miss, will you have an opportunity to run Portsmouth Lakeside again?

I have a 5k on Tuesday evening and I didn't want to wait until the last minute to "try out" my back so decided to do a gentle run today to see how it felt. I went up to the gravel track and varied my pace on the gravel surface and also jogged a bit on the grass. Apart from my aching knees (which seems to be a permanent feature these days) I had no problems, so I'm keeping fingers crossed for Tuesday's run.
29 Sep
11:46am, 29 Sep 2024
16,025 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, thanks, my 'jog' went better than expected, see below. It's possible that it might be on the radar in the future. It's up to Sarah F, she's the boss 🤣 and has made a list of all the parkruns that she wants to run. She wants to get as many letters of the alphabet as possible.

That's good that you ran this morning without any apparent problems, so hopefully will run well in Tuesday evenings 5k.

I ran a solo 4.43 miles this morning on roads, which included several hilly pathways.
29 Sep
12:12pm, 29 Sep 2024
46 posts
  •  
Aquarius
Nice photos HS, glad to hear your run went well. :)
30 Sep
12:50pm, 30 Sep 2024
2,748 posts
  •  
WtnMel
HS - sorry to read you pulled a muscle in your lower back and couldn't do parkrun. But pleased to hear it was feeling easier and you were hoping to get out for a jog. With Sarah F being the 'boss', that saves you having to think about which parkrun to do. Nice photos - and glad to read on and find out you did a 4.5ml road run.

Aquarius - I see you hurt your back too and similar to HS, had to miss a planned run. But good to hear you've also been out for a 'test' run and all seemed okay (apart from the achey knees!).

Like HS, I've had an invite to get my covid & flu jabs and will be getting them on Wed 9th.

I've been to coffee & chat & walk this morning. It was just me and Rose today (everyone else was away, busy, or worried about getting wet). We did just under 2mls and I wore my new trainers and my feet seem to be fine. I've treated myself to another pair of Saucony Guide 17 trainers, this time an all black colour scheme, the idea being I can wear them in preference to black shoes when there's likely to be any walking involved. In Pittville Park where we walked, there was a tree that had come down in last night's wind.

The family visit went well yesterday and I helped Margaret's younger son enter the 21st century by helping him install Whatsapp on his phone. He needed it to keep in touch with the rest of the family as everyone else uses it in preference to SMS messages or email.

Chatting to Rose this morning, she's put me on to a couple of other singing groups that may suit me. One is a group of male 'pub singers' and the other one, which she belongs to, has around 20 ladies and apparently, no men, but would like some. So I'd probably be welcomed with open arms if I expressed an interest! :)
30 Sep
2:57pm, 30 Sep 2024
47 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel A pub group or an all ladies (currently) group - what a dilemma. Had to smile at you having to install WhatsApp on Margaret's younger son's phone.

I hope you didn't get too wet on your coffee & chat walk today. Very reassuring that your new trainers seem to be bedding in well, good idea to get an all black pair too. I have an old pair of all black trainers that I wear sometimes with my smart black trousers, the hems of which almost hide the fact my shoes are actually trainers. I've worn trainers for so long that I find my "going out" shoes are too uncomfortable to wear, particularly with my bunions.

I got an email from the NHS a few days ago advising me to book flu and Covid jabs. We already have our flu appointments booked for 22 October, so I rang the doctor's surgery today to ask about Covid vaccinations, only to be told they weren't going to do them this year and suggested I rang the pharmacist. When I spoke to the pharmacy they said they weren't doing them either. I tried to find a walk-in centre (as suggested in the email) but that service isn't being opened up until next Wednesday.

No running today, instead got around to making the Christmas Cake, and did some batch cooking for the freezer.
30 Sep
3:54pm, 30 Sep 2024
16,032 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, thanks. I ran again today, see below.

I see that you and Steve have flu jabs appointments, but not Covid until the walk-in-centre opens next week. I'm lucky that I will be having both in the local Hythe Hospital.

Well done for making the Christmas Cake. It seems that the earlier they are baked, the better they taste.

WtnMel, thanks, I think that it must have been a slight muscle strain that caused the ache.

Yes, Sarah being the boss saves me from having to chose which parkrun to do😁

Good to hear that you have got your covid and flu jabs booked.

Good news that your feet seem to be ok during your walks. I remember when I was a youngster that we all wore black plimsoles. I don't know whether they still make them.

That's interesting, you having to install WhatsApp onto Margaret's younger sons phone. It's usually, these days, the youngsters being the experts on hi tech.

What a dilemma having to chose between an all male pub choir, or an all ladies, looking for men🤣 I wonder which one you will choose!

This morning I ran 7.65 miles on roads with Mike, bringing this months mileage to 100! We almost dodged the rain, there being just a few minutes half way through the run. It wasn't quite as cold as yesterday morning.

I don't know whether I mentioned it before, but my daughter, who lives in Aylesbury, has enrolled for a couch to 5k course which starts on 10th October. I'm really pleased about it, and hope that she keeps it up once the course is completed.
1 Oct
7:33am, 1 Oct 2024
332 posts
  •  
OO61
A nice looking run hillstrider. And nearly 8 miles yesterday for a good monthly total.
Aquarius my wife was also struggling to get her covid jab, finally sorted it with the NHS app. No letter so me sadly. Glad your back is ok. What 5k are you racing?
Wtnmel I'd definitely go for the all ladies group hungry for men 😉
I'm in my taper week with Chester marathon on Sunday. A swim today and a couple of short runs this week. We travel towards Chester on Friday staying with our daughter in Manchester. On Saturday she is taking us to a new parkrun but don't recall the name. Like your daughter hillstrider, my daughter is doing couch to 5k after having a baby.
1 Oct
1:39pm, 1 Oct 2024
16,042 posts
  •  
hillstrider
0061, thanks.

Good luck with Sundays Chester Marathon. Don't push too hard in Saturday's parkrun.

That's good that your daughter is doing couch to 5k.

The usual Tuesday Farmers Walk this morning.
1 Oct
3:07pm, 1 Oct 2024
48 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 I'm not exactly "racing" tonight, it's the Grand Prix. I'll be taking lots of dry clothes for changing into afterwards, as it sounds just as bad at the coast as it is here. It's good that your wife has got her Covid jab arranged. I wonder if they are prioritising women? Steve hasn't received his invitation either, even though he is 5 years older than me. If I have no joy with the Covid walk in appointments I think I'll try the app. I hope you enjoyed your swim today.

HS Couch to 5k seems to be a very popular way to get into, or return to, running. Steve has used it a couple of times after being injured and it's the only way he's managed a comeback without suffering further injury. I think the reason being progression is managed for you, because you just follow the plan, which prevents you from getting too ambitious too soon. I hope your daughter enjoys it. Has she done much running in the past?

As mentioned above I'm doing a 5k this evening, so I'd better dig out the chest torch and get it charged.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..