RW Mature Runners

4 lurkers | 12 watchers
21 Sep
3:36pm, 21 Sep 2024
15,962 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done WtnMel for your 40 lengths. That must have been embarrassing, being locked out of your locker. Thankfully, you must have still been wearing your trunks 🤣

0061, I used to swim twice a week for many years, and twice swam the BT 5,000 metre challenge, 200 lengths of the 25 metre pool.

Aquarius, there were no pigs to be seen at today's parkrun.

The circles is not officially a fetch challenge, but each run per month gains circles according to the mileage. No circles are awarded for running over the same ground. Therefore, the incentive is to find as many different courses as possible. I,000 is my individual challenge, no prizes unfortunately.

That was a good turnout at the Newcastle parkrun. Good luck for the cross country season. Will Steve be racing with you?

This morning we did the Brockenhurst parkrun which is back in Wilverley Inclosure. Just the one lap, but two killer hills. There was a smaller number of runners than expected, just 153. I was 1stAG 75-80 from three. The finisher after me was a lady 1stAG 70-75. We had a good natter afterwards.

There was a lot going on today, with the pannage, the start of the ponies round up, and the annual cycling competition with hundreds of cyclists on the narrow country roads. A bit of a nightmare driving, with the cyclists, ponies and donkeys on the roads. Thankfully, Sarah F was driving.
21 Sep
10:57pm, 21 Sep 2024
306 posts
  •  
OO61
Impressive swimming hillstrider.
Yes Aquarius Blyth for us to celebrate their 200th parkrun. I took it steady, as racing Redcar Half tomorrow
22 Sep
10:56am, 22 Sep 2024
15,967 posts
  •  
hillstrider
0061, I hope today's half marathon went well!

A recovery pace 5k road run this morning on tired legs.
22 Sep
12:09pm, 22 Sep 2024
41 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 Good luck at Redcar today, is it one you've done before?

HS Good luck with that challenge, I imagine a lot of planning is needed. Cyclists, ponies, donkeys and cars on the same narrow roads sounds like a recipe for disaster, well done to Sarah F for negotiating it all successfully. Well done to you for being first in your AG at parkrun. It's always nice to have a chat with fellow runners afterwards.

Today is a rest day, well apart from having one of the grandsons this afternoon. Steve is helping him with his homework - making a volcano which erupts. Heaven help us.
22 Sep
4:01pm, 22 Sep 2024
15,971 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, thanks! I'll probably stop checking the circles, because after some runs, the total goes down, instead of up; I don't know why, it doesn't make sense 🤔

It was quite a day yesterday, with so much going on.

Enjoy today's rest day which sounds rather exciting, with Steve and one of the grandchildren making an erupting volcano 🌋
23 Sep
7:57am, 23 Sep 2024
311 posts
  •  
OO61
I can't imagine how you build a volcano but I'm sure you had fun Aquarius.
Yes my second visit to Redcar for the half. It was drizzly and breezy but an easy flat course. I was a bit slower than at GNR but still OK. I'm now tapering for Chester marathon in 2 weeks. We are in Keswick so a few long walks planned.
23 Sep
2:40pm, 23 Sep 2024
15,977 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Good luck 0061 with your Chester Marathon in 2 weeks. Enjoy your long walks in Keswick.

An enjoyable 6.43 miles in the forest this morning with the Sarah's. We got back just before the rain started.
24 Sep
10:23am, 24 Sep 2024
42 posts
  •  
Aquarius
0061 I hope you are having better weather in Keswick than we are having here (lots of rain and mist). Good luck with Chester. Building the volcano involved a lot of cardboard and paint, the "eruption" element is yet to be tried out, it involves mixing Coke and Mentoes apparently. I think we are going to experiment with that next weekend.

HS The weather looks even worse down your way. Take it easy on your forest runs, I expect underfoot conditions will be rather challenging.

We had a rather damp run at the Reservoir yesterday, raining at the start but that gave way to a thick mist. It was another Garmin training session for me, a mile warm up followed by two sets of 200m flat out, 600m almost as fast and 1 mile slightly less fast. Glad to get that one out of the way. I will do another training run tomorrow (6 mile) but then will probably miss Friday's session out as it's XC the following day, with a trail training session the day after (held by a local trail company, not a Garmin training session).

WtnMel hope all is well with you.
24 Sep
11:15am, 24 Sep 2024
317 posts
  •  
OO61
We had a lovely day yesterday Aquarius but a bit murky today. At least no rain....
Volcanos- amazing what you learn 🤭
24 Sep
12:54pm, 24 Sep 2024
2,744 posts
  •  
WtnMel
Apologies for being AWOL again ..

OO61 - I thought I was going to have to wander out to the health club reception in my towel .. thanks goodness that other guy was happy to help out.

Aquarius - at the time, I wished the hotel used the 'old school' idea of a key on a safety pin rather than the fiddly 4 digit locks (especially fiddly for me as I struggle to see without my reading glasses!). I've not started any longer 3-4ml walks as yet .. need to build up by going for a shorter one (1-2ml) and see how that goes. Golf is also on the back burner for now and I'll start by just trying 9 holes. But I need to look at getting some new golf shoes before that. I hope you are able to do all the x-country races this year. Go easy with the mixing coke and Mentos .. I've seen videos of the results and you'll be amazed how strong a reaction there is and how high the fluid goes into the air. Definitely something to try OUTSIDE!!

HS - as mentioned above, I was stranded in the health club changing rooms wearing just a towel ;) Not sure I could manage 200 lengths of a pool for a challenge like the one you did. Even at my (cough) 'peak' I was still only managing around 55 lengths. I see you had a challenging parkrun but were 1st in AG - and I can imagine how having so many cyclists on the roads meant the drive there was a nightmare for Sarah F.

Had my first 'longish' walk yesterday. But not an early-morning one and not in my new trainers either! It was Margaret's birthday so I took her out for lunch. We got a taxi there because of the torrential rain. But we walked back into the town centre to catch a bus home. Not ideal as it was still raining and I was wearing my 'everyday' black shoes. But my feet don't seem to be suffering from any after-effects of walking the half-mile to the bus stop.

Off to see my Mum again this Thu and this time, the Premier Inn gets my custom as their room was £37 cheaper than the equivalent Holiday Inn one. I couldn't justify that extra expenditure just for a bigger room and access to the swimming pool - and that £37 will go towards paying for my meal deal (2 course dinner, drink and breakfast).

I've just finished a 2 hour u3a online zoom course called 'Introduction to Cryptic Crosswords. It was good fun and slightly challenging and there's a 6 week online course that delves further, run by the same guy, starting in November. But I won't be able to attend because it's going to be on Thu mornings when I'm often driving to see my Mum. Its a shame because the course is free - though you're told you need to buy the lecturer's book (£13.80 a time) - to be able to do the course! :) I have been doing (and usually completing) the Guardian Quick Cryptic crossword each Saturday for a few months, so I'll carry on doing that each weekend.

In other news, my suspicions about the choir were confirmed as I had an email yesterday with a link to a Youtube video of the next piece to learn which was .. (drum roll) .. 'Blue Christmas' :( As I said before, I don't want to be singing christmassy songs for the next three months, so I've decided to give this choir a miss. I will try and find another choir more suited to what I want (basically, singing for fun) which won't entail a relentless treadmill of practising unseasonal songs week after week.

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..