•  
richmac
^ all this
6 Jul
2:56pm, 6 Jul 2024
43,211 posts
  •  
Nellers
I'm with JB. If there's no class war these days it's because the fuckers have won.

Feudalism: It's your Count that votes, and all that. It's back but it's called Free Market Capitalism.

Come the revolution they'll be first against the wall and they'll get a bloody good telling off because I'm against the death penalty even for those cnuts!
6 Jul
3:03pm, 6 Jul 2024
9,081 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Stepping onto the global stage for a minute: cautious optimism that Iran have elected a reformist president.
6 Jul
3:07pm, 6 Jul 2024
19,720 posts
  •  
NDWDave
The private/comp split is interesting but if you further reduced it to the share coming from a handful of elite boys boarding schools that is a more telling statistic. Winchester/Charthouse/Eton and a couple of others probably had as many of the top jobs as comprehensive sector combined

Eton has 20 prime ministers including Cameron, Bojo plus loads of more minsters including JRM and Kwarteng, Rory Stewart,… but it is only one school out of thousands in the UK.

We’ve finally got our first female chancellor of the exchequer after 800 years of the role
6 Jul
3:07pm, 6 Jul 2024
43,212 posts
  •  
Nellers
How the chuff have they fallen for one of Farage's lot?
jda
6 Jul
3:13pm, 6 Jul 2024
17,410 posts
  •  
jda
Don't think private education should be a disqualification but if the cabinet (or indeed HoC) is over 10-15% or thereabouts it suggests a bit of a problem.
6 Jul
3:16pm, 6 Jul 2024
16,260 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Only 7% of the population are privileged enough to have a private education. The Labour policy of making school fees subject to VAT was one of the main reasons I voted Labour. Some of my closest friends are privately educated and they're lovely people but they realise they were very privileged and are happy that state educated people are now finally breaking these barriers. Some others are not happy that elite universities are now actively trying to get more state educated children in and feel their kids are being penalised. I've had a few discussions at work with people about this, they just don't see that being able to pay tens of thousands of pounds a year to fund private education for their kids is a sign that they are rich!
6 Jul
3:28pm, 6 Jul 2024
28,395 posts
  •  
richmac
Wow that's quite some mental gymnastics
SPR
6 Jul
3:50pm, 6 Jul 2024
45,020 posts
  •  
SPR
This on the new prisons minister is interesting, seems to suggest sentencing reform: bbc.co.uk

I do agree with jda/ Simbil's point in general though. Presumably in this case Starmer is appointing based on the policy ideas Timpson has and the civil service will still be advising on how to make things work.
6 Jul
4:16pm, 6 Jul 2024
3,353 posts
  •  
Muttley
I strongly approve of ending the VAT get-out for private schools. Nothing wrong with such places existing if people want to use them, but they're businesses like any other and are, of course, selling privilege and a conveyor belt to Oxbridge.

On which subject, there was some sniffy talk recently about "Mickey Mouse degrees". I would argue that the damage done to the country by Oxbridge PPEs is immeasurably greater.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.