Politics

5 lurkers | 212 watchers
6 Jul
11:03am, 6 Jul 2024
5,728 posts
  •  
paulcook
I think the Green nimbyism and little hypocrisy, both on a national scale such as HS2, nuclear power, planning objectives, and on a local scale on particularly planning applications, e.g. here in Darlington I know they object to a garden village and wind farms, is the hardest act to balance.

Caroline Lucas, for one example, has been much more than a green voice though, and very much a social conscience. Depends now how they use that extra foothold especially without Lucas (at least in parliament).
6 Jul
11:10am, 6 Jul 2024
32,718 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
My son is a green activist here in the People’s Republic of Stratford-upon-Avon and he is the youngest member of the local XR group by a country mile - I mean decades younger. See also the local Stratford4Europe group. Young people just don’t feature much at all.

I can think of several areas locally which look like candidates for building programmes - proximity to the M5 corridor for a start - but I imagine there will be fierce opposition whenever it starts.
6 Jul
11:36am, 6 Jul 2024
21,381 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
richmac wrote:I like some of the appointments, Timpson and Valance for instance.
I'm delighted that Mr. Timpson has been appointed as Prisons minister, that's great news on the first day of the new government.
6 Jul
11:39am, 6 Jul 2024
18,904 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Interested to see what new ideas and strategies will be used in justice and prisons - we've been a heartbeat away from implosion for some time.
6 Jul
12:08pm, 6 Jul 2024
86,808 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Hunt has ruled himself out of the Leadership contest, saying the time has passed.

Meanwhile, have you heard the crap Braverman is spouting already? Apparently Starmer will undo all the stories’ hard work. Let’s hope so.
6 Jul
12:15pm, 6 Jul 2024
5,729 posts
  •  
paulcook
Interesting take on the leadership contest, especially on your theory about Labour undoing the Tory's hard work. Cameron, Osborne and IDS all want a long contest. The kickback being Labour could undo that work and control the narrative. That being the case, I can't see why they don't have an interim leader a la Harriet Harman.

theguardian.com
6 Jul
12:25pm, 6 Jul 2024
32,719 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think the calculation that Tory+Reform = 24% + 17% is unlikely to pan out in practice but we’ll see, particularly if a merger leads to a rump of Tories splitting from the party. Too many variables!
SPR
6 Jul
12:38pm, 6 Jul 2024
45,012 posts
  •  
SPR
The interim leader will be Sunak.
6 Jul
12:42pm, 6 Jul 2024
32,720 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
“Yet in the wider global context, what a win. One summer evening in 1914, the foreign secretary, Edward Grey, famously remarked: “The lamps are going out all over Europe.” In our own times, a darkening has recently felt at hand, as hard- or extreme-right parties have gained ground across the continent, to say nothing of the US. But here – in this country, in this moment – a different direction has been taken. That matters today, and anyone not on the wingnut fringes, who hopes to avoid those gathering shadows, should wish Keir Starmer good luck with his task. For plenty who would snuff out the lamps are also rising – increasingly, they walk among us.”

Well said.
6 Jul
12:57pm, 6 Jul 2024
24,418 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Culture Minister Nadine Dorries had the same ring about it as Celibate Boris Johnson

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.