Politics

26 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
8:59am, 29 Nov 2019
33,442 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Not sure I agree Mike. It's a true "consensus politics". They have to bring round these countries by encouraging better behaviours, providing them with alternative income sources (you can call it bribes, but it's important for all countries balancing their economy), and keep pushing and persuading until you have unanimity. It's how coalitions work. The small parties always have a veto. You have to bring them on board. :-) G
Nov 2019
9:03am, 29 Nov 2019
2,451 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I understand that view HappyG, and it is noble. I dont like the system in this instamce and find it very irritating not just because of the ammunition it gives brexiteers, but more of "how did we get here after all these years of trying to bring these countries on board"
Nov 2019
9:08am, 29 Nov 2019
184 posts
  •  
TommyK
Conservative's have apparently complained to Ofcom about being unrepresented on C4's Climate Change Debate.

FFS.

C4: We're having a Leader's debate about climate change and you're invited
BJ: Will I be able to endlessly trot out my lie about "Getting Brexit done"?
C4: No
BJ: Then I'm not coming
C4: OK. We'll replace you with an ice sculpture (mutters to self "At least that'll be transparent")
BJ: You can't do that
C4: Yes we can
BJ: I'll send my backstabbing henchman instead
C4: Which part of "Leader" do you not understand? (mutters to self "all of it, evidently")
BJ: I'm telling my Dad on you
Nov 2019
10:21am, 29 Nov 2019
31,310 posts
  •  
LindsD
That ^
Nov 2019
10:34am, 29 Nov 2019
24,791 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Personally I think it is fine if he doesn't want to turn up, people can judge with their vote.

What's worse is all the nonsense since. Johnson is pursuing a plan, i.e. he thinks he doesn't have to say anything (perhaps just appear on outlets that support him) and he will now win, that is fair enough, I find that arrogant, anti-democratic and he should be available to be questioned, but it is up to everyone to see that for what it is vote accordingly.

The working class voting Tory is not new, it's always happened, most of my family vote Tory (and leave) and always have done. I could never understand it, they are postmen, work in shops, army, delivery drivers, that sort of stuff. I think the idea was they see the Tories as their way out. I tended to see a decent education system and health service are the ways out and you generally get that from Labour. Oddly they almost always had a deep mistrust of unions, whereas I think, when run and organised properly, they are great.
Nov 2019
10:44am, 29 Nov 2019
9,880 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Was anyone else disappointed that there wasn't a sculpture of Boris himself? He should be grateful he wasn't replaced by a tub of lard like Roy Hattersley on HIGNFY ;-)
Nov 2019
10:48am, 29 Nov 2019
2,452 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I was also hoping for the Tub of Lard.
Nov 2019
10:48am, 29 Nov 2019
23,064 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I saw the Daily Mail covers from Wednesday and Thursday, and I'm paraphrasing here, but they seemed to say the same thing in big bold letters i.e. 'CORBYN IS SATAN', followed by a smaller list of frightening things he would do, like steal your children, and poo on your car, etc. All I can imagine is that they must have a *really* good recipe section, because the news section is somewhat repetitive.
Nov 2019
10:50am, 29 Nov 2019
2,453 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I will put my car in the garage, thank you very much..
Nov 2019
10:51am, 29 Nov 2019
23,065 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
No worries. Happy to provide a public service. If you've got a hamster, he's planning on pulling faces at it when you're not looking.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.