Politics

19 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
3:52pm, 28 Nov 2019
1,641 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Interesting fact for people who keep considering that LD are as equally responsible for austerity as the tories. The coalition government of 2010 to 2015 made actual spending custs of 81bn.

In the pre 2010 manifesto pledges for cutbacks, Conservative 96bn, Labour 82bn, Liberal Democrat’s 80bn.

Student fees is what haunts the LDs but the overall impact on coalition was positive. I realise that of course where cuts are made makes a difference (trident & BBC v licence fee) I’m not sure what overall impact of differentiation would be.
Nov 2019
4:13pm, 28 Nov 2019
18,978 posts
  •  
DeeGee
All parties promised some level of austerity.

The Lib Dems promised the least. Had Labour met their targets, they'd have cut £1bn MORE thank the LDs, but that doesn't suit Magic Grandad's fanbois' narrative.
Nov 2019
4:14pm, 28 Nov 2019
18,979 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Problem is, in parliamentary terms, for every austerity-enabler, there are ten terrorist-hugging communists.
Nov 2019
4:15pm, 28 Nov 2019
23,056 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've been looking at the polls as listed on the Guardian poll tracker:

theguardian.com

YouGov suggest conservatives have an 11 point lead on labour, but that's smaller than each of the leads they've declared in their last six polls.

ComRes give C a 7 point lead, but that's also smaller than the previous six polls.

ICM also show a 7 point lead, but that's the smallest it's been for the last three weeks.

Kantar shows a narrowing gap over the last two weeks, but they seem to swing about.

Deltapoll give C 13 points, and have stayed relatively consistent.

Panelbase show the shortest lead for a few weeks.

Opinium and BMG buck the trend, and show a widening C lead.

I think (or maybe just hope) it'll be closer than the gap suggests.
Nov 2019
4:19pm, 28 Nov 2019
33,432 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It's what it translates to in our stupid FPTP voting system though. 1% up could still theoretically be a 50 seat majority. Or 10% up could be no majority at all. Ridiculous.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but the more tripe I read (mostly not the mainstream media, but comments from "ordinary" people) the more I despair. Grrr.
Nov 2019
4:27pm, 28 Nov 2019
23,057 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've just been looking through a ComRes PDF of how they put their survey together. It shows just how much the raw data gets pushed around in order to get to the final simplification.

comresglobal.com
Nov 2019
4:44pm, 28 Nov 2019
9,760 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
LibDems lost me over PR, and not won me back yet and certainly Jo Swinson couldn't win me over.
Nov 2019
4:44pm, 28 Nov 2019
9,761 posts
  •  
Torry Quine
That said, if they were the opposition to the Tories in our seat, they's get my vote.
Nov 2019
4:54pm, 28 Nov 2019
2,447 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I am now 60. So i feel a little guilty about the state of politics and the planet, it is a complete bollocks all round. I have a personal, and admittedly challengable view, that its time for the young ones to either correct our recent balls ups, in the last few years particularly, or make their own and us older voters may be best ducking out. I have opted to effectively donate my vote to my youngest son henceforth, ad finitum. I don't care what he chooses, but I hope this gesture is compensation for the legacy i feel we are leaving the younger generation. I would add that i may not care but i am secretly pleased that i know it wont be tory at this election. The process is simple. Who do you reckon i should vote for son (at each election) ? Done deal, and i feel good about it, it's the least i can do and i am not virtue signalling, just admitting my sorry part in the pathetic state that politics and of course the planet are in. I am adjusting.. I hope he accepts my gift.
Nov 2019
4:55pm, 28 Nov 2019
2,388 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I think ducking out of interviews and debates might be seen as a sign of arrogance by some.

The polls suggest that the Tories have a straight run to the line and a comfortable win. If they start to believe that themselves then that's when people get careless. It only takes a Gillian Duffey moment.

Don't forget that the biggest motormouth of the lot, Donald Trump is coming to town, it'll only take a careless remark about the NHS.

The fat lady is still under the dryer in hair and makeup. She's not even finished her throat lozenge....

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.