Politics

24 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
1:20pm, 29 Nov 2019
24,795 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Happy, it's not amazing at all. Lot's of middle class people who are comfortably off vote Labour, probably for the benefit of others as much as themselves. I reckon as many working class people vote tory for the opposite reasons, for themselves and lower taxes, being free to choose, no interfrence in your life (that was Thatcher as much as anyone(, you can come and join us sort of nonsense. It has always been that way. I think it ties in with Brexit and the fact that the Tory vote always comes out no matter what, as they are again.

The Cons are going to win by a street.
J2R
Nov 2019
1:25pm, 29 Nov 2019
2,413 posts
  •  
J2R
Question: If Corbyn had set out, on becoming leader of the Labour Party, to deliberately expedite the takeover of this country by the far Right, allowing them to begin the destruction of social democracy, what, if anything, would he have done differently?
SPR
Nov 2019
1:27pm, 29 Nov 2019
29,740 posts
  •  
SPR
Meh, if people think the far right is the best choice, that's on them.
Nov 2019
1:43pm, 29 Nov 2019
1,053 posts
  •  
mushroom
I took heart from one news clip last night in Richmond, SW London, a Tory area, where they voted 70percent to remain. One life long Tory voter has switched to LibDem saying that the Tory Party isn't representative of her.

I'm optimistic that there may be others like her..
Nov 2019
1:48pm, 29 Nov 2019
33,448 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol J2R.

SPR, unfortunately, whilst the responsibility is on those who vote Tory, the impact is on all of us in the country ruled by the Tories.

I will actually be fine (as WS points out, I can afford to vote Labour, because I've got a bit of spare cash! :-P ) The people who will be hit hardest are those who use public services such as health, those on benefits or any other state support, anyone who has a low paid, low security job etc.

I'm sorry WS, it might have "always been that way" but still doesn't make it right. The low paid might think they're voting for lower taxes and being free to choose but the reality is, they are taxed more (proportionally) than the uber rich who can squirrel their money away in clever places like offshore, in investment vehicles etc.

So they're just wrong, and foolish, being taken in by the big bosses, if that's why they think they're right to vote Tory.
Nov 2019
1:55pm, 29 Nov 2019
24,796 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
People have the right to think and vote how they like. Take this into consideration.

My mum and dad lived in a council house, in the end my mum, The Tory voter, convinced my dad to buy it. It cost 80,000, it is a semi detached in West London, 5 minutes from a tube station, next door got sold last year for 450,000. My dad, and I agree with, feel that the current housing problems revolve around councils ability to supply housing and the fact that the housing stock got sold off. He's sitting on half a million.

Who was right? Foolish?

Discuss.
jda
Nov 2019
1:58pm, 29 Nov 2019
5,883 posts
  •  
jda
Problem is you can find examples of anything you want, but there's no way to know whether what the TV chooses to show you is remotely representative...indeed, plenty of occasions when it quite clearly is not.
Nov 2019
2:02pm, 29 Nov 2019
27,177 posts
  •  
macca 53
I can’t criticise your parents for making that choice (no brainer actually).

That the government of the day gave them that option and simultaneously prevented local authorities from building replacements was the most morally bankrupt thing of the last century. Johnson seems determined to Trump (geddit) that by opening up the NHS to US insurers.....
jda
Nov 2019
2:03pm, 29 Nov 2019
5,884 posts
  •  
jda
The tories sell the dream of upward mobility and making your own success. The facts don't really support them on this, but facts don't matter much. None of the homeowners who "made their own luck" by buying a house earlier in the bubble are going to think that they got lucky, no siree, they worked hard for their £500,000 and their grandchildren could do the same if only they got off their backsides and stopped eating avocado toast.
Nov 2019
2:08pm, 29 Nov 2019
33,449 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Great, I have no problem with your dad having done well out of it. I'd call him middle class, not working class, if he was able to afford to buy a house for even 80,000. So yes, he's benefited from Thatcher's council housing sell off. No problem with that (well yes, I have a problem with the policy, but not with your dad for taking advantage of it!)

But true working class (stupid word, let's ditch class, I'll reclassify) true low paid, low security workers, casual workers or non-workers never benefit from a Tory policy. Ever. So if they vote Tory, they are voting against their own self interest. And if they think otherwise, they are wrong.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.