Politics

23 lurkers | 212 watchers
Nov 2019
3:52pm, 29 Nov 2019
3,024 posts
  •  
Bob!
and it shouldn't be.
It's somewhere to live, not a money making exercise.
Nov 2019
3:55pm, 29 Nov 2019
728 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Didn’t say it was. But the perception can be that it is.

For what it’s worth, I don’t agree with RTB.
Nov 2019
4:49pm, 29 Nov 2019
10,203 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Plus 2 or 3, jda. 😬
Nov 2019
4:58pm, 29 Nov 2019
15,534 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It's because the broad swathe of the populace don't understand probability. We've replaced a meritocracy, with a lotteritocracy, whereby everyone stays poor, but because there's a tiny chance one or two of us might get rich, we "tolerate" it and look down on anyone who says the rich should spread their wealth (as so they bloody should), because it could be "us". (Same applies to inheritance tax)

People don't realise that a 1 in 40,000,000 chance (or whatever it is) means they are more likely to be struck by lightning TWICE or die in a plane crash than win the lottery (or get rich). It's also partially why Cornwall is Tory and Lib Dem and not Labour, despite being very poor and the equivalent of the stereotypical northern Labour town - because historically the miners were happy to be paid in shares, and 1 in every million or so mines struck it rich and the miners who owned shares got rich - but everyone else stayed poor.

In South Wales they were paid in tokens only spendable in the mine workers shop and learned to unionise. But here the lotteritocracy prevails - you stay poor because you agree to it on the grounds you have a 1 in x,000,000 chance of being rich. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me!
Nov 2019
5:23pm, 29 Nov 2019
24,802 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Yes. The pointlessness of the lottery is ongoing conversation with my dad as well..he appears to think lightning does strike twice.

Mind you I backed a couple of nice winners at 6s today at Newbury. Nice profit.

Indeed it is somewhere to live.

As I said I agree the selling of the council house stock was wrong but and again it is very, very easy for middle class people with money to say here's a policy that is really good for you working class types that has absolutely nothing to do with me or my life or how I may live except I will pay some extra shekels in income tax.

Very easy. I also admit I am very chippy.

However owning a house is a money making exercise, I have used it that way myself, ...especially how our tax system is set up and have a listen to Bojo today regarding care for the elderly.
Nov 2019
5:27pm, 29 Nov 2019
24,803 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
No need to be sorry HappyG. You said what you think.

So did I. I agree on balance yes I think it is quite obvious, however where Corbyn and McDonnell have got it wrong is the idea people want radical solutions. They don't they want to get on with their lives with a bit of help here or there. Baby steps. First.

They also want most politicians to fuck off into the far distance.
Nov 2019
6:29pm, 29 Nov 2019
1,643 posts
  •  
JRitchie
It’s an interesting point about your parents WS and I had an auntie/uncle in the same boat. They bought there council house a number of years ago and because they had lived in it for so many years they got it for a song. My parents really had to work hard to persuade them to buy it as they were worried about the debt, but it was a real no-brainer for them.

You could say the same general point about inheritances. I’d like to think when I leave this place that there will be a bit left for my kids and I don’t want that eroded to much by the tax man so they can get a little slug of cash when they might need it. At the same time I believe in equal opportunities for all so everyone should
Be able to achieve their potential fairly. How do we aware those two equally reasonable desires. Is it about setting a sensible limit or is it a point of principle and therefore you either take away inheritance or not tax it at all?
Nov 2019
6:35pm, 29 Nov 2019
1,644 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Ally-C I think you’re Scottish (re your mums house?) and the property price differential between South and The non-south is horrendous. Overseas buyers snapping up London properties - nobody living in them they just want to speciilate on London prices going up. It’s obscene. Estate agents and lawyers and non residents win. We shouldn’t tax them more we should restrict non-residents right to buy. My life long school friend who worked in London is retiring to Scotland in a few years and has bought himself a bloody manor from his house sale in North West London.
Nov 2019
7:07pm, 29 Nov 2019
24,805 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
That's right JR, my dad realises he can set his grand children up, good for him, I don't need his money, I'm fine, will my nephew and nieces be fine without a bit of help, probably not, it is a struggle for them now. They're working class too, not very well educated, very limited options, about to get shafted come brexit, whole areas of london have shit education, its not all nice down there.

Would my dad be in that position now without Thatcher, no. How does he vote? Labour. Has he got a scooby do about inheritance tax, does he fuck, that's my next job.

Swinson Et Al on my telly, switching off, they have nothing to say to me anymore.
Nov 2019
4:08pm, 30 Nov 2019
729 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Dear dear, the BBC have lubed themselves up and taken one from the Tories. Their credibility lessens by the day.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.