•  
Bob!
Yup, total cop out from the BBC
Nov 2019
8:37pm, 30 Nov 2019
15,535 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Meanwhile the public are becoming more unimpressed by Johnson, latest BMG poll has them in hung parliament territory!

uk.reuters.com
Dec 2019
10:41am, 1 Dec 2019
58,926 posts
  •  
swittle
Watching Marr and Johnson becoming steadily more annoyed with each other in a dissonant duet of what ought to have been informative 'debate' was an unedifying spectacle.
Dec 2019
6:19pm, 1 Dec 2019
33,452 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Chris, just following headlines I only hear Tories in front by miles. :-) G
Dec 2019
8:17pm, 1 Dec 2019
6,085 posts
  •  
Dooogs
The result of the Remainers fighting each other really frustrating me in my constituency. Lib Dems out campaigning this weekend in a seat where the split was about Lab 48; Con 46; Lib 4 in 2017.

The Labour incumbent is a Remainer, the Tory challenger is a true believer Brexiteer and the Lib Dems are actively campaigning in this seat. They can't win there this year but they're on course to facilitate a hard Brexiteer to get in. Gah.
jda
Dec 2019
8:23pm, 1 Dec 2019
5,887 posts
  •  
jda
I think it’s worth considering the possibility that the LDs are stealing a few votes off the Tories (eg remainers) and so helping Labour to win.
Dec 2019
8:30pm, 1 Dec 2019
6,087 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Hope so but traditionally it's been the LDs and Labour fighting for one set of swing voters and Tories BXP UKIP for the other. If they can strip off some remainer Tories, that'd be ace - no-one but Labour have made it to my doorstep yet...
jda
Dec 2019
8:44pm, 1 Dec 2019
5,888 posts
  •  
jda
That's presumably making the assumption that Brexit dominates everything else. It's true for some, perhaps most, but definitely not true for all.
Dec 2019
11:28am, 2 Dec 2019
7 posts
  •  
Daft Vader
Going back a page or two re house ownership, they should double the rate of tax on residential rent and make the buy to let market not worth landlords bothering.

It is the buy to let that is helping to kill house ownership. It is removing available housing stock and concentrating it in an ever smaller pool and also makes normally house moving for people a nightmare.

I had over 12 months delays in selling my last house due to a number of buy to let purchasers pulling out at the last moment because they found a better money making property elsewhere - including one guy who had even paid out for the bank survey.

Eventually I sold to one on the basis that if he completed within X weeks, I would reduce the sale price to him by X- number of weeks he beat that deadline by. I.e., I made it financially worthwhile to avoid delay. Strangely, I've never sold a house quicker. :)

And we all know of people who have had similar selling issues.
jda
Dec 2019
11:40am, 2 Dec 2019
5,890 posts
  •  
jda
There is also inherit-to-let and inherit-to-keep-as-a-holiday-home, especially round here where people retire and a few years later their adult children find themselves with a nice little bolt-hole for occasional weekends in the country.

There was a proposal round here to increase the council tax by a factor of 10 for unoccupied houses but it failed to pass. Shame, it would at least have dealt with the empty two-weekends-a-year holiday homes which are killing the small villages round here. I wonder if 10 was too ambitious and 5 might have passed.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.